Is it possible to wall mount an LED HDTV to a fireplace AND hide the cables?

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Looking for thoughts on wall mounting a new LED HDTV to our fireplace. I'd like to hide the cables some how in the wall too. Here's a picture of where I want to mount the TV.

Is it possible?

scandiskwindows9x

Moderator of DTV Latino
probably is possible with the standard LCD wall mouting systems , should read the owner manual for more details about the way of mount to a wall.

i have my plasma display not mounted in the wall, althought i should do it to keep it safe in case of earthquakes but is so heavy that i doubt would fall just the furniture would move some centimeters but not fall

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, my main concern is going to be with placing the wires in the wall so they are hidden behind the TV. I'm sure the fireplace is well encapsulated as well as heat shielded, but I guess it's a good question for whichever contractor I decide to get me a quote.

scandiskwindows9x

Moderator of DTV Latino
have considered about the heat that will the television receive from that external source?

maybe is not a good idea put in the fireplace the television set due the heat that would receive, have to consider that while more flat is the television their internal components are more delicate and prone to damage by the heat.

n2rj

Staff member
It should be possible. Above our fireplace there is an electrical outlet installed by the previous owner. The chimney itself is heat shielded and the fireplace if it is a manufactured one will be heat shielded as well. If this is a newer home you'd probably have a manufactured chimney anyway and it is usually stainless steel. The inner pipe is where the flue gases are carried up and then there is a layer of insulation followed by an outer pipe. The pipe going out of our wall from the wood stove is cool to the touch even when the wood stove is at full blast. As long as there is adequate clearance I don't see why an outlet can't be installed over the fireplace.

As far as power goes I'd recommend running an outlet to an inlet instead of directly to the house wiring. That way you can power your TV from a UPS or other power conditioning device. We have 5 second power outages here at times (versus a several hour long outage) due to the reclosers that the power co-op uses so a UPS prevents complete interruption. Standard NM cable 14 awg should be fine although I've used 12awg since I had some left over when I wired a 20A 240v outlet for my ham radio amplifier (wire is expensive these days, why buy more?)

For the HDMI cables, Monoprice sells keystone HDMI jacks and in-wall CL2 rated HDMI cables which is what I use. I ran two HDMI to the back of the TV in the kids room as well as one coax. The TV has three HDMI inputs so I may run a third later on. I ran only one for the master bedroom TV because I run everything through an AV receiver.

Monoprice and meritline have the mounts too.

I generally don't like fireplace installs if the fireplace is used regularly since smoke and soot gets in the TV. But people like it for some reason I guess.

SWHouston

Staff member
Jay,

Of course it's possible, but you shouldn't hide them "IN" the wall
it's probably WAY too hot n there, and full of insulation anyway !

What is the width of the TV, and
what is the width of the Fireplace ?
(the upper section where the TV will go)

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Jay,

Of course it's possible, but you shouldn't hide them "IN" the wall
it's probably WAY too hot n there, and full of insulation anyway !

What is the width of the TV, and
what is the width of the Fireplace ?
(the upper section where the TV will go)
SW, I'll get those measurements this weekend...I think it's close to 46"+ wide but will confirm.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
It should be possible. Above our fireplace there is an electrical outlet installed by the previous owner. The chimney itself is heat shielded and the fireplace if it is a manufactured one will be heat shielded as well. If this is a newer home you'd probably have a manufactured chimney anyway and it is usually stainless steel. The inner pipe is where the flue gases are carried up and then there is a layer of insulation followed by an outer pipe. The pipe going out of our wall from the wood stove is cool to the touch even when the wood stove is at full blast. As long as there is adequate clearance I don't see why an outlet can't be installed over the fireplace.

As far as power goes I'd recommend running an outlet to an inlet instead of directly to the house wiring. That way you can power your TV from a UPS or other power conditioning device. We have 5 second power outages here at times (versus a several hour long outage) due to the reclosers that the power co-op uses so a UPS prevents complete interruption. Standard NM cable 14 awg should be fine although I've used 12awg since I had some left over when I wired a 20A 240v outlet for my ham radio amplifier (wire is expensive these days, why buy more?)

For the HDMI cables, Monoprice sells keystone HDMI jacks and in-wall CL2 rated HDMI cables which is what I use. I ran two HDMI to the back of the TV in the kids room as well as one coax. The TV has three HDMI inputs so I may run a third later on. I ran only one for the master bedroom TV because I run everything through an AV receiver.

Monoprice and meritline have the mounts too.

I generally don't like fireplace installs if the fireplace is used regularly since smoke and soot gets in the TV. But people like it for some reason I guess.
Problem is, the fireplace is in the middle of the family room. My wife really wants to mount the TV on one side but it would throw off the room symmetrically (isn't there an older episode on Star Trek about an alien race that would eliminate unsymmetrical objects, lol). Anyway, the house was built in 1992, so I'm pretty sure there is good heat shielding. I'll probably just hire a subcontractor with good experience to come out and do the install. Only if it is safe, that is.

Agreed about the UPS. Actually, my plan would be to have the contractor run a power cord, HDMI cable, optic cable, and cat 5 cable from the TV into the wall to one of the sides.

n2rj

Staff member
Bear in mind that you cannot run a standard stranded power cord in the wall. It is a code violation big time. You need to use NM cable hence the outlet and inlet.

An inner wall is unlikely to have insulation. Even less likely if it's a chimney because the heat buildup will be dangerous.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Bear in mind that you cannot run a standard stranded power cord in the wall. It is a code violation big time. You need to use NM cable hence the outlet and inlet.

An inner wall is unlikely to have insulation. Even less likely if it's a chimney because the heat buildup will be dangerous.
I've seen the installation in other houses before above Chimneys. http://www.mrtvmount.com/16.html I'm pretty sure there is sufficient insulation. The power cord will be the deal breaker though. Hmm.

SWHouston

Staff member
Jay,

What I'm headed toward here, is not penetrating the wall at all, but
to build two symmetrical caps, and run the wire through/under those
and down the side(s) of the Fireplace.

The reason I need the measurements is, that I was going to draw
you a simple diagram, and I need some basic proportions.

Last edited: