IS Mobile DTV going to be "real" TV?

NYCLA*

DTVUSA Member
Is Mobile DTV going to be "real" TV?

Here's what I mean: When a station is broadcasting ATSC-M/H, and I have a cellphone capable of picking up that signal, is it going to be the same live TV broadcast people are seeing in their homes? Or is it going to be some special mobile only channel and not the same broadcast? I'm hoping for the former.

Last edited:
A single station will be showing the same programming on both ATSC and ATSC-M/H broadcasts.

My question is: will mobile dtv be a joke like HD radio is?

NYCLA*

DTVUSA Member
A single station will be showing the same programming on both ATSC and ATSC-M/H broadcasts.

My question is: will mobile dtv be a joke like HD radio is?
Well, just the name "HD Radio" is a joke isn't it? There is no such thing as "HD Radio" it's just crap come up with by marketing people. In Europe, DAB and Digital Radio Mondiale is a success. Not sure why in the USA, things always get f'ed up (well I have my ideas about that, actually).

Thanks for your answer to the ATSC-M/H question.

O-O

DTVUSA Member
Well, just the name "HD Radio" is a joke isn't it? There is no such thing as "HD Radio" it's just crap come up with by marketing people. In Europe, DAB and Digital Radio Mondiale is a success. Not sure why in the USA, things always get f'ed up (well I have my ideas about that, actually).

Thanks for your answer to the ATSC-M/H question.
lol, I like it. Welcome to the forum. One of the things that I think will make ATSC-M/H successful is that they've got more backing power and better organization for rollout than what I perceived HD radio to have.

See Trip's thread here: http://www.dtvusaforum.com/mobile-dtv/4581-official-atsc-m-h-reference-thread.html for some good links and reading.

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
It will probably vary from station to station. Some will have separate programming and some will have the same. As far as I know, there's no requirement to simulcast, though I imagine most will.

- Trip