Is Netflix sleeping with the enemy?

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I warned little Netflix about sleeping around with those trashy cable companies. She just won't listen to me. I guess she'll have to find out the hard way.

This will ruin her reputation.

FWAmie

DTVUSA Member
Wouldn't surprise me, considering that there are companies out there that do that kind of thing. But that just made my opinions about netflix kind of drop tho..

I know this is a relatively old post by Jason...but I do find the Netflix approach to buying original content such as House of Cards and Orange is the New Black to be a unique way to stand out against Hulu and other content providers.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
I know this is a relatively old post by Jason...but I do find the Netflix approach to buying original content such as House of Cards and Orange is the New Black to be a unique way to stand out against Hulu and other content providers.
Hulu has been adding original content too, but...not with the kind of budget that Netflix has invested with its original programming.

Premiering on Hulu this year is The Hotwives of Orlando, starring Casey Wilson (Happy Endings), Angela Kinsey (The Office) and Kristen Schaal (Flight of the Concords). The series was executive produced by Jonathan Stern (Childrens Hospital) and Paul Scheer (NTSF:SD:SUV).
Also new to the schedule is Deadbeat, a co-production with Lionsgate Television that stars Tyler Labine (Reaper) as a medium who exterminates ghosts in New York City. Koh said Lionsgate was instrumental in helping Hulu assemble the cast, which includes Cat Deeley (So You Think You Can Dance) and Brandon T. Jackson (Tropic Thunder).Scandinavian drama The Bridge, which was recently adapted by FX, and Canadian reality dance series The Next Step, will also air on Hulu this year.
In addition, the site will air new seasons of Fresh Meat, Pramface, Elite New Face, Line of Duty, Moody Family and The Only Way Is Essex. Those shows previously fell under the Hulu Exclusive banner, but will now be designated Hulu Originals.

Thanks Jason! I haven't subscribed to Hulu in a while, so appreciate you pointing out. I don't think I'll try to checkout The Hotwives of Orlando though...:) Deadbeat does seem pretty cool though and will have to check it out!

Well that can be good or bad.. Depends on which service the consumer choose... I think Netflix has come along way and having learned very little about Hulu. I can say Netflix is or would be my choice, I think there are far too many people out there who don't really understand what Hulu or Netflix are. I know this kind of junps off topic a little but I asked some random people I see through out the day..Like at the library and at school at starbucks etc.. anyway I asked if they knew wat Hulu and Netflix were.. Well some of the younger generation knew and understood what Netflix was "streaming movies" was a common answer. Is it because the programs/companies are under advertised?, is it the crowds or generations? All I know Is that keeping up with the best quality television/internet possible and knowing the options is the best way to find out don't you?

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Jason! I haven't subscribed to Hulu in a while, so appreciate you pointing out. I don't think I'll try to checkout The Hotwives of Orlando though...:) Deadbeat does seem pretty cool though and will have to check it out!
Oh, anytime. I've seen a few advertisements on Hulu Plus lately, promoting their original stuff. Some of it seems weird...there was some reality show about following around team mascots and their daily activity from various sports teams; also "The Awesome's" which was an animated cartoon with super hero type characters...kind of based on humor like South Park. Some of Hulu's new shows look more professional but none of it looks appealing for my tastes.

Honestly, this move can turn out a copy different ways. One it could mess up the way Netflix is by boosting up the price of $8 per month to a unrealistic amount. At the same time it can bring Netflix in some more customers and potentially boost their sells. Which would knock eliminate the competition with Hulu.