Is Plasma obsolete?

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
With the recent increasing sales of LED HDTVs and impending production of OLED HDTVs, is the Plasma going to be phased out?

One reason why I think so: http://www.dtvusaforum.com/home-the...41-california-ban-hdtvs-2011-a.html#post12647
With the improvements of LCD and the lower cost of production as well as the lower power consumption, you may be correct in assuming the death of Plasma is imminent. If the black/white issues with the LCD can be addressed there would be little reason to opt for a plasma over the LCD.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Depends on your room setup too (lots of windows? sun light?), Plasmas are much brighter. Do you game any on you HT system? If you go with a plasma, make sure to get one with Anti-Image Retention technology.

andrew25

DTVUSA Member
It is really hard to predict whether this would be the end of plasma. Even if the LCD's become ultra famous plasma panels would still be bought by people who are interested in it and not to mention plasma have some distinct applications.

Still, plasma arguably give the best picture quality, and they still have a good-sized chunk of the higher-end market, so I don't expect them to disappear anytime soon.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Still, plasma arguably give the best picture quality, and they still have a good-sized chunk of the higher-end market, so I don't expect them to disappear anytime soon.
That may have changed over the past two years.
Also a result of the success of LCDs, the number of plasma manufactures has decreased over the past two years. Pioneer is the most notable to announce its plan to stop producing its own plasmas starting with the next model and will instead buy glass from Panasonic, but Hitachi and Phillips have also announced similar plans -- and Fujitsu got out of the display business all together.
See the full story here.
LCD vs Plasma in 2009