Is Standard Digital picture better on LCD, LED, Plasma, or DLP?

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I think a lot of it depends on the quality of the incoming signal. I have a RPTV HDTV from 2004 and an LCD HDTV from 2009 and both display similar quality when receiving SD over DirecTV. OTA gives a slightly better picture with SD for my TVs but this may be because of the alignment of my dish right now with DirecTV and overall signal strength being lower than usual. Some channels may actually look better than others too on OTA due to things like signal compression and interference. Hope this helped.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Besides "better picture" being a very subjective judgment, it is also important to keep in mind that there are a lot of other considerations. Plasma, for example, is a power-hog. DLP isn't a flat-screen. And so on.

Piggie

Super Moderator
OTA gives a slightly better picture with SD for my TVs but this may be because of the alignment of my dish right now with DirecTV and overall signal strength being lower than usual.
DirecTV is digital, so just like OTA until the signal drops out the quality is equal regardless of strength. If your OTA SD looks better than DirecTV (mine does) then it due to compression or other processing not signal strength.

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
DirecTV is digital, so just like OTA until the signal drops out the quality is equal regardless of strength. If your OTA SD looks better than DirecTV (mine does) then it due to compression or other processing not signal strength.
Which goes along with the digital signal theory, "All or nothing" whether we're talking about OTA or satellite signals, right?