Is the ReplayTV DVR Done?

U

Unregistered

I heard that ReplayTV was sold to DirecTV a couple of years ago and that they were going to shut down the programming guide service. Before I buy one used on eBay, is there any reason why I shouldn't? I mean, it's really worth it to me to be able to have the program guide too and not just manually record.

I heard that ReplayTV was sold to DirecTV a couple of years ago and that they were going to shut down the programming guide service. Before I buy one used on eBay, is there any reason why I shouldn't? I mean, it's really worth it to me to be able to have the program guide too and not just manually record.
The site where you would go for subscription information seems to be down right now. That's:
www.digitalnetworksna.com/

I THINK it's still possible to get monthly subscriptions from those people, but why would you want to? $12.95 per month = $155 a year = a pretty high price just to get programming data in a form that works on their machines, when that data is basically available free for other setups. (I know, right now it takes a committed techie to put it all together. But at least it's a one shot time/money investment.)

But moreover, why would you want to play with those rattlesnakes? They left the "lifetime" subscribers out to dry, you know. Here's an article laying it out, with links to a couple other sources:
Getting Older Stinks.com: Lifetime Service and ReplayTV

You don't want to "replay" that scenario, do you? You play with rattlesnakes, yer gonna get bit sooner or later.

Rick