Question: Is there an amplifier that will pass signal when the power is out?

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Is there an amplifier that will pass a signal when the power is out?

I have decided it's time to replace my distribution amp. I have plenty of signal to drive a TV or two without an amp. However, I'm split to six rooms, and the living room is split a few times to go into various devices. I'd like to use a pre-amp instead of a distribution amp for a cleaner signal. The line from the roof is about 40 feet long, and I suppose I could route it differently (through a roof vent) to shorten it to about 12 feet.

Here's my problem:
If my power goes out now, the amp passes no signal. But all I have to do is walk to my utility room and bypass the amp. I then connect the cable to the line that goes to the portable TV, and I have TV. But if I have a pre-amp and the power goes out, I'm not climbing on the roof to bypass the amp!

So, does anyone know of a pre-amp that still passes signal with no power? If not, my other choices are to get a better quality distribution amp, or put a UPS on the power injector for the pre-amp. I could also put another antenna up in the attic just for that one TV.

Suggestions? What would you do?

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Well, a few days ago I broke bad and ordered a Kitz KT-100VG. My signal is split 4 ways and the only receiver I have a problem with is the two channel DVR, so I figure if I can make up for the 12 db of loss (8 from the 4 way and 4 from the internal DVR splitter) without adding a lot of noise that the DVR should work good too. I know that Trip has a Kitz. I've always wondered if the noise levels are really that low, or if it's just an advertising ploy.

The reason I bring it up is that a super low noise amp may be the solution.

Here is Trip's review of the KT-200: http://www.rabbitears.info/blog/index.php?post/2010/05/05/Kitztech-KT200

Last edited:

MrPogi

Staff member
7-14 volts - I could power it with batteries if I had to. Let me know what voltage of that wall wart is when you get it, Dan.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
It's 9 volts. The amp was shipped within an hour of when I ordered it, and it arrived the second day after I ordered it (first class mail). It's definitely a small variable gain amp. Now, will it do what I want it to do? I'm running the gain at 1/4 to 1/3 (of 20 dB if the POT's linear). Whatever the DTVpal DVR measures as strength went down on FOX 31 (RF32) but the breakups that were the problem seem to have gone away. The jury is still out on that and I'll be monitoring it and will report back.

MrPogi

Staff member
I'm thinking to use a pre amp, and go with the "second antenna in the attic" option as my back-up for power outages. Simpler and cheaper, it also has the advantage of the 2nd antenna being inside, where the wind, snow and ice can't take it down. You know, the kind of things that tend to cause blackouts.