Is there something wrong?

FWAmie

DTVUSA Member
Ok, my dad has always had problems remember all of his kids birthdays. Considering that there are six on his side, I don't actually blame him. But it has gotten so bad that he is actually asking how old all of us kids are. I mean it used to be only that he couldn't remember the year or the month. Is there something wrong with him now? I mean yes he is 51 years old. But he seems to be able to remember everything else just fine. He even asked me how old my oldest brother was. That was his first kid. Which I found out my dad was actually 16 when my older brother was born. I mean, my mom is only 41 years old and knows all of her kids birthdays and stuff. and she has five kids to herself.

FWAmie

DTVUSA Member
Well, as far as I know he has several doctors. One for his heart, and a few others. But I have no idea what doctor he would actually need for something like that.

SWHouston

Staff member
Some people never were good at remembering stuff like that, but, if he did at one time and is sorta "loosing" that ability, I'd suggest a Cardiologist or Neurologist. Most reasons for memory loss is connected to blood flow, that's why we loose our hair as well. Sometimes it may be caused by some Arterial Occlusion like plaque. Tests like Ultrasound, can determine if those tubes are open or occluded. :wink:

FWAmie

DTVUSA Member
Some people never were good at remembering stuff like that, but, if he did at one time and is sorta "loosing" that ability, I'd suggest a Cardiologist or Neurologist. Most reasons for memory loss is connected to blood flow, that's why we loose our hair as well. Sometimes it may be caused by some Arterial Occlusion like plaque. Tests like Ultrasound, can determine if those tubes are open or occluded. :wink:
I know he has a Cardiologist. He found out he now has 30% blockage in one vessels in his heart and 15% in the other. But that bothers me even more considering back in 2009 he had four heart attacks in one year. The first one he had, he had 90% blockage. So they put in stints. So, maybe that could be contributed to it?

Well, if it wasn't for my wife, I would forget most birthdays at the age of 39....that is one useful thing I find on Facebook since most of the family minus the young kids and my dad are on it! The day-before b-day reminder has saved me a number of times!

Some people have trouble remembering numbers in general-. Dates, months, ages, some people do not have a mind for numbers. I am one such person. I can remember my B-day, hubby and my son's. But I cant remember anyone else's. I can get the month for most but not the day and the years have always escaped me for my parents and older relatives. Some folks just dont have a mind for numbers.

SWHouston

Staff member
So, maybe that could be contributed to it?
Uoo, that's quite a few occasions ! Every time we get low flow to the Brain, a few/some cells die, and those are not recoverable. Maybe it just happened to many times, an as Pogi mentioned, some may not have been serious enough for others to see. It's not beyond some older persons, to have an incident and just not mention it. They don't want others to worry.

Also, that (forgetfulness) can happen to those who have never had an Attack, and BP is VERY good (quoting empirical evidence) :becky:
But, I'm 74 so...

Last edited:
Ok, my dad has always had problems remember all of his kids birthdays. Considering that there are six on his side, I don't actually blame him. But it has gotten so bad that he is actually asking how old all of us kids are. I mean it used to be only that he couldn't remember the year or the month. Is there something wrong with him now? I mean yes he is 51 years old. But he seems to be able to remember everything else just fine.
My first reaction on reading this was "sounds about normal." I mean, he has his wife, and the other kids, to help remember all that stuff. Why should he bother? ;) According to the great expert "Judge Judy," women are far, far better at remembering that stuff.

Unless he starts having trouble with other things, all you can do is suggest he talk to his doctor. And if he has any symptoms of sleep apnea, he should ask about that. (Does he snore? Does he fall asleep during the day? If he ever fell asleep while driving, then you'd better insist!) Sleep apnea is very common in people over 50, and it is linked to heart disease. It is treatable and it has an enormous effect on mental clarity.

Rick

My dad is 50 and as long as I could remember he has never known our birthdays or how old we are. If he had to sit down and think about it yeah he probably could ramble off the date but just asking him he has no clue. Sometimes I find with men that kind of stuff just isn't important. Before you worry too much I would just see if he starts to forget other things that are important for his day to day well being. Birthdays in my opinion isn't a reason to rush to the doctor. Just my opinion though if you are truly worried about him have a talk with him and see how he feels about it.

FWAmie

DTVUSA Member
My first reaction on reading this was "sounds about normal." I mean, he has his wife, and the other kids, to help remember all that stuff. Why should he bother? ;) According to the great expert "Judge Judy," women are far, far better at remembering that stuff.

Unless he starts having trouble with other things, all you can do is suggest he talk to his doctor. And if he has any symptoms of sleep apnea, he should ask about that. (Does he snore? Does he fall asleep during the day? If he ever fell asleep while driving, then you'd better insist!) Sleep apnea is very common in people over 50, and it is linked to heart disease. It is treatable and it has an enormous effect on mental clarity.

Rick
Ironically I think that my dad suffers from something much different. Considering he has only slept 3-4 hours a night, for the last few years. There have actually been days were he only sleeps two hours.I mean I have had plenty of days were I am up for a little over 48hrs. Which I absolutely hate, but its because I a become manic and my brain will not shut down for nothing. Now, I just found out today that he now has function in his hands again thanks to his doc. But I don't know if doc gave him medicine or what they did. But he seems very happy about it. So that's good news

Ironically I think that my dad suffers from something much different. Considering he has only slept 3-4 hours a night, for the last few years. There have actually been days were he only sleeps two hours.
Doesn't sound normal at all. I hope he has a sleep doctor. He probably needs a sleep test, where you stay overnight at a clinic.

I mean I have had plenty of days were I am up for a little over 48hrs. Which I absolutely hate, but its because I a become manic and my brain will not shut down for nothing.
Now I'm worried about you too. If that happens more than three or four times a year, I'd ask for a referral to a sleep doctor. Maybe you're just deficient in magnesium -- nature's tranquilizer.

Now, I just found out today that he now has function in his hands again thanks to his doc. But I don't know if doc gave him medicine or what they did. But he seems very happy about it. So that's good news
That's great to hear! Say "hi" to your dad for me. ;)

Rick

FWAmie

DTVUSA Member
Doesn't sound normal at all. I hope he has a sleep doctor. He probably needs a sleep test, where you stay overnight at a clinic.

Now I'm worried about you too. If that happens more than three or four times a year, I'd ask for a referral to a sleep doctor. Maybe you're just deficient in magnesium -- nature's tranquilizer.

That's great to hear! Say "hi" to your dad for me. ;)

Rick
So far, I think he has been told to see a sleep doc, whether he has or not, really don't know. He really isn't one for docs, unless it seems to be a near death thing...

As far as me, it only seems to happen maybe 1 or 2 times a year. But I have noticed, that when it happens I will be up a little over 48hrs., but then I will go to sleep for maybe and hour or two and then I am up, but feeling so zombie that I am basically just on auto pilot. I asked my ob and she only told me to take unisom or some other sleep aid. But, that doesn't even work. So I think i will see about seeing a sleep doc.

So far, I think he has been told to see a sleep doc, whether he has or not, really don't know. He really isn't one for docs, unless it seems to be a near death thing...
It absolutely is a near death thing. I went to a sleep doctor 10 years ago, and there's very little chance I'd be alive at the ripe old age of 62 if I hadn't. On 3 or 4 hours of sleep, your dad is at very high risk of stroke, and he can't be feeling well at all. BEG him to see a sleep doctor! That could be the key to unravel all his health problems.

As far as me, it only seems to happen maybe 1 or 2 times a year. But I have noticed, that when it happens I will be up a little over 48hrs., but then I will go to sleep for maybe and hour or two and then I am up, but feeling so zombie that I am basically just on auto pilot. I asked my ob and she only told me to take unisom or some other sleep aid. But, that doesn't even work. So I think i will see about seeing a sleep doc.
I still do that once or twice a year, but it's a lot tougher on me now than 20 years ago. :doh: I get into some research project or something that I think is the greatest thing since sliced bread and I can't get off the computer. It's immature and foolish, but I guess that's me. You should try that magnesium. Most people are deficient, and it's very safe to take one before you go to bed. Doesn't knock you out or anything, but it might help you sleep deeper and longer.

Rick

FWAmie

DTVUSA Member
It absolutely is a near death thing. I went to a sleep doctor 10 years ago, and there's very little chance I'd be alive at the ripe old age of 62 if I hadn't. On 3 or 4 hours of sleep, your dad is at very high risk of stroke, and he can't be feeling well at all. BEG him to see a sleep doctor! That could be the key to unravel all his health problems.

I still do that once or twice a year, but it's a lot tougher on me now than 20 years ago. :doh: I get into some research project or something that I think is the greatest thing since sliced bread and I can't get off the computer. It's immature and foolish, but I guess that's me. You should try that magnesium. Most people are deficient, and it's very safe to take one before you go to bed. Doesn't knock you out or anything, but it might help you sleep deeper and longer.

Rick
So, if you are only sleeping so much it can actually kill you? That seems weird. Considering there are days that I can sleep 3-4 hours a night and wake up with more energy than I do when I actually sleep 8 hours a night...

So, if you are only sleeping so much it can actually kill you? That seems weird. Considering there are days that I can sleep 3-4 hours a night and wake up with more energy than I do when I actually sleep 8 hours a night...
Amie, I can't stress this enough. I put "sleep problems" AND "life threatening" into Google and got over 2 million hits. One example:

sleepfoundation.org said:
For people with sleep apnea, the combination of disturbed sleep and oxygen starvation may lead to hypertension, heart disease and mood and memory problems. Sleep apnea also increases the risk of drowsy driving . Sleep apnea can be life-threatening and you should consult your doctor immediately if you feel you may suffer from it.

More than 18 million American adults have sleep apnea.
Amie, a very common quote is that you will die faster from lack of sleep than from lack of food. There's no way to know if you have sleep apnea without a sleep test, and there's no way to get a prescription for a sleep test without seeing a sleep doctor. I know a very well educated RN who was getting 3-4 hours of sleep per night. That was her only symptom. She fell asleep several times at the wheel, and never admitted it to anyone until after she got a sleep test and her CPAP machine. She immediately became a different person. Much more efficient and alert, and more popular with her coworkers.

Lack of sleep can kill you faster: Researchers | Columnists | Opinion | Toronto Sun
"New research has found those people who doze for less than six hours each night are 12% more likely to die prematurely than those who get a good six to eight hours of solid down-time.

The research, by the U.K.'s University of Warwick and the Federico II University Medical School in Naples, Italy, reportedly offers unequivocal evidence that a lack of sleep - by way of leading to other afflictions like diabetes - can kill you.

That was a study where they based amount of sleep on reports from people. They would never do a study where they forced people to sleep less than 5 hours a night for more than one or two nights in a row. It's considered unethical to kill people!!

Man Dies After Going 11 Days Without Sleep: What Are The Health Risks Of Sleep Deprivation?

Rick