Is your TV DTV ready (already)?

dtvnerd

DTVUSA Member
Before you even bought a digital broadcasting box, was your TV ready to receive the digital broadcasting? I know some of mine are, and I am glad to know that. I wont need to spend the money on those things.

I always wonder how long before DVD-Recorders and VCR/DVD Players are going to take before their built-in tuners have digital capability. i had a new DVD Recorder manufactured in 2008 and it still had a plain NTSC analog tuner

pghmyn

DTVUSA Member
I always wonder how long before DVD-Recorders and VCR/DVD Players are going to take before their built-in tuners have digital capability. i had a new DVD Recorder manufactured in 2008 and it still had a plain NTSC analog tuner
Sometimes there are those random technologies that take forever to finally update. I wonder how much money one could make if they invented a DTV tuner with a HIGH quality DVD player built into it.

Sometimes there are those random technologies that take forever to finally update. I wonder how much money one could make if they invented a DTV tuner with a HIGH quality DVD player built into it.
A market for something like that would be great! Looks like I am going to have to steal that idea from you now! Haha, just kidding. I don't think I would have enough money to even do the process.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
My TV was ready, but only because I have DirecTV. ;) I believe the correct term for my Sony Wega CRT is, "HD Ready". Capable of DTV/HDTV, but no digital tuner. I did pick up a converter box for backup when Satellite goes down.

TonyT

DTVUSA Member
At our house, we have a HD Ready TV too, and have been toying with the idea of canceling satellite for OTA. I want HD, so the CECB converters are of no use to me,

waiting to get my hands on a HD converter...

casey

DTVUSA Member
One of the TVs I have is ready to go, but the other ones will need a DTV box. I don't know if I will be buying it right away though. I guess I can do without the other ones for a little bit.

misha

DTVUSA Member
I have very TV ready to go for when the transition comes! I bought all new TVs in my house, and made sure I would be ready for anything. I only do have about 5 TVs right now though, so it wasn't that expensive.

tony, the difference between SD and HD is like night and day. All our affiliates send out 1080i and it looks great. Richer colors, higher cleaner quality, sharper details. SD looks good too, but its more blurry, more pixelation, less bandwith.

your TV should have an HD tuner, and I *think* there are some boxes with HDMI but I haven't seen any around here.

HDMI is the highest quality port.

HD or SD, even on an HDTV is not perceivable by my eyes, but if it is downconverted to 480i it looks horrific on a LCD HDTV.

If an HDTV is in HD Mode (1080i or p) it looks exactly the same as my CRT Mag TouchTune Console running from a SD converter box. but in SD mode, the HDTV looks worse than fuzzy analog.