Issue with new antenna

cwilli

DTVUSA Rookie
tv fool report
TV Fool

hi,
I just bought an RCA ANT751 antenna and cannot get it to work. I was planning on mounting it on the roof, but it would be easier to mount it in the attic (above the 2nd story).

I want to make sure it works before I mount it. First, I tried setting the antenna on my deck (1st story) and plugging it into the tv with only using one 2-way splitter. I did not receive any channel.

Next, I tried setting the antenna out a second floor window on the roof shingles and plugging it into the TV using two 2-way splitters. This didn't work either.

I'm not sure what could be the issue.
- Db loss may be too much because I'm going through too many splitters. do I need an amplifier? I only want this antenna to feed one TV at the moment, but eventually 3 or 4 tvs.
- The signal may not come in because the antenna isn't properly grounded/mounted and it is directly touching the wood deck or roof shingles
- could the antenna be defective
- the antenna is not high enough and I need to mount it on the roof before I can expect to see a signal.
- the cables/splitters/cable connectors may not be hdtv quality
- something else that I can not think of

thanks for any and all help,
Clay

:welcome: cwilli

I just bought an RCA ANT751 antenna and cannot get it to work. I was planning on mounting it on the roof, but it would be easier to mount it in the attic (above the 2nd story).
Attic might not work -- shingles on the roof. You need to get a signal to find out.

I want to make sure it works before I mount it. First, I tried setting the antenna on my deck (1st story) and plugging it into the tv with only using one 2-way splitter. I did not receive any channel.
I would try it first with one known good coax (RG-6 tri or quad shield) to one TV. Get a signal first, then think about splitting -- possibly with an amp, only if needed.

Next, I tried setting the antenna out a second floor window on the roof shingles and plugging it into the TV using two 2-way splitters. This didn't work either.
You don't mention the direction. It needs to be pointed east-north-east with a clear line-of-sight in that direction. I.e. not on the south-west side of the roof if it has a slant. You can't obstruct the 2 edge signals any more.

You did a good job summarizing some possibly issues:

- Db loss may be too much because I'm going through too many splitters. do I need an amplifier? I only want this antenna to feed one TV at the moment, but eventually 3 or 4 tvs.
The splitter cuts the signal in half even with just one TV connected. So lose the splitter til you know what's going on.

- could the antenna be defective
Anything is possible at this point. Also, the ANT751 is a good antenna, but you might need something stronger with all those 2 edge signals.

- the antenna is not high enough and I need to mount it on the roof before I can expect to see a signal.
Your TV Fool report defaulted to 13 feet, cause you didn't enter a height. Try entering 30 feet to see if it helps.

- the cables/splitters/cable connectors may not be hdtv quality
Well, they might just be old and lossy.

Rick

Last edited:
You didn't say that you'd actually programmed your TV set to use an antenna, assuming it even has a digital tuner. If it doesn't have a digital tuner, or you didn't program the TV set to use an antenna, the antenna can never work until you operate the TV set correctly (see its owner's manual).

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: Clay,

Good answers above and ProjectSHO probably hit the nail on the head. FREE over-the-air TV signals and Cable or Satellite reception use different frequencies and your TV set needs to know what range of signals you want it to receive. Double check and get back to us.

Jim

cwilli

DTVUSA Rookie
Thanks for all of the replies!
I assumed with a HDTV that I just needed to use the TV/ANT input on the TV and I should be able to find the channels. I will look at the user's manual tonight to make sure it is set up correctly.
I also thought that my antenna was omnidirectional, but either way, I will try to point it towards ENE. There are a lot of trees that direction so that also may be my issue and I am not high enough to get a line of sight over the trees. (I will be high enough when I mount it, but I don't have a ladder to do that yet!) I also bought some straight through coax connectors instead of splitters so I will switch those out this evening as well.
I will keep you all updated.
Thanks.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Thanks for all of the replies!
I assumed with a HDTV that I just needed to use the TV/ANT input on the TV and I should be able to find the channels. I will look at the user's manual tonight to make sure it is set up correctly.
I also thought that my antenna was omnidirectional, but either way, I will try to point it towards ENE. There are a lot of trees that direction so that also may be my issue and I am not high enough to get a line of sight over the trees. (I will be high enough when I mount it, but I don't have a ladder to do that yet!) I also bought some straight through coax connectors instead of splitters so I will switch those out this evening as well.
I will keep you all updated.
Thanks.
There you go... Point your antenna ENE, and - You need to go to "menu" and change input from "cable" to "antenna", then do a channel scan.

There are sets nowadays where that will work, but most TVs need a totally different setup for OTA.

I also thought that my antenna was omnidirectional, but either way, I will try
The ANT751 is a log periodic antenna (Walmart calls it a "mini Yagi") so it's directional by definition. Subjective reports claim it has a pretty wide beam width, but nobody knows for sure -- manufacturer isn't talking. :azn:

Keep us posted!

R.

cwilli

DTVUSA Rookie
thanks for all the help. I didn't realize that my TV tuner needed to be switched from cable to antenna. I switched that, replaced the two splitters with two straight through connectors and placed the antenna on the roof outside of a 2nd floor window pointing eastish. I received all the channels with only a few of them coming in laggy. Im planning on mounting this antenna on the same mounting pole that a direct tv dish is currently mounted on (and taking down the direct tv dish). how should I ground this antenna?

MrPogi

Staff member
There should already be a ground wire on the Dish mount, but don't count on it.
Here's a diagram:
TV38_FAQ_17.jpg

thanks for all the help. I didn't realize that my TV tuner needed to be switched from cable to antenna. I switched that, replaced the two splitters with two straight through connectors and placed the antenna on the roof outside of a 2nd floor window pointing eastish. I received all the channels with only a few of them coming in laggy. Im planning on mounting this antenna on the same mounting pole that a direct tv dish is currently mounted on (and taking down the direct tv dish). how should I ground this antenna?
Now that you have the TV menu set correctly, the antenna might even work inside the east facing window. Then a ground isn't required. It could even work with the signal split to 3 or 4 TVs. I'm sorry I missed that about the menu setting. Could have saved you some trouble.

A lot of this is just trying everything within reason until you get something to work with. If you listed the exact stations you're getting now (and what you mean by "laggy"), we could probably help max out your reception. But if you're happy with whatcha got -- we're happy!

Rick

MrPogi

Staff member
The ANT-751 is pretty ungainly in a living room window, unless you can pass it off as "industrial art". Definitely not "wife approved"! It may work acceptably in an attic if outdoors mounting (preferred method) is not possible.

cwilli

DTVUSA Rookie
I was actually thinking about putting it in the attic. I'm assuming I will be OK just laying it on the plywood attic floor facing ENE. and this way I wouldn't have to ground it either. The area that I want to set it is about 5 feet away from my hvac fans. will this be an issue?

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
I was actually thinking about putting it in the attic. I'm assuming I will be OK just laying it on the plywood attic floor facing ENE. and this way I wouldn't have to ground it either. The area that I want to set it is about 5 feet away from my hvac fans. will this be an issue?
Possibly.

Anything metallic in your attic may reflect TV signals in completely unexpected ways. HVAC units and ducting, sheet metal steel chimney piping, the spare saved door from your 1968 Camaro and your sled when you were a child may be unintended signal reflectors.

Walk the antenna around (get away from it and get reports from below) until you find THE 'sweet-spot' for it.

Jim

I'm assuming I will be OK just laying it on the plywood attic floor facing ENE.
You can't assume anything in the attic. It may be just as good as a roof antenna, or it might not work at all. Point is, it costs nothing to try, and if it works, you're home free on the maintenance angle. It can be a real PITA when your roof antenna flies apart in a snow storm.

So see if you can find a sweet spot, and if not, the roof will still be there.

Rick