It's tough to interview the president...

AG99

DTVUSA Member
... but some people make it even tougher.

I should know better than to post something political in a forum like this, but even my aunt and uncle, screaming conservatives who think everything revolves around Fox, hate Bill O'Reilly. Why would Fox pick him, of all people, to interview the president?

I didn't watch the interview because I don't much like Fox, but apparently he made quite a hash of it: Bill O'Reilly's ridiculous Super Bowl interview with President Obama - The Week

Personally, I'd have gone with Neil Cavuto.

I should know better than to post something political in a forum like this, but even my aunt and uncle, screaming conservatives who think everything revolves around Fox, hate Bill O'Reilly.
That's because he's not nearly conservative enough for some on the right who wear their politics like a religion.

Why would Fox pick him, of all people, to interview the president?
You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding on how this stuff works. The president agreed to do an interview with O'Reilly, period. Obama didn't agree to do an interview with whomever they chose -- not even Hannity would accuse him of being that stupid!

I didn't watch the interview because I don't much like Fox, but apparently he made quite a hash of it:
I watched the entire thing, as well as the entire taped interview that followed, often stopping and replaying parts I thought remarkable. It was absolutely superb.

Personally, I'd have gone with Neil Cavuto.
Cavuto would have asked him some nerdy economics questions, and Obama would have skated around him ever so deftly, thank you very much. Of course, that is what he does better than any politician who ever lived -- better even than Clinton. When I say the interview came out almost 50/50 that's high praise for the Irish guy. I can guarantee you, as many liberal loons as far right extremists were P.O.d at O'Reilly .

I would have loved to see Megan Kelly do the interview, but there's no chance big-O would ever go for that. She's a lawyer. :eyes:

Rick

AG99

DTVUSA Member
That's because he's not nearly conservative enough for some on the right who wear their politics like a religion.
My uncle (who is pretty far right) hates him because he's a jerk, which is pretty much my impression of him as well. I remember watching an interview years ago where he brought some guy on and interrupted him every half-sentence. He'd ask a question, then not let the guy answer it. To this day I don't know what the guy was about because Bill wouldn't let him speak. He could have brought on a cardboard cutout for all the difference it would have made. I'm surprised the president managed to get a word in edgewise.

I don't know Megan Kelly. Hopefully she's not as enamored of the sound of her own voice as Bill is.

My uncle (who is pretty far right) hates him because he's a jerk, which is pretty much my impression of him as well. I remember watching an interview years ago where he brought some guy on and interrupted him every half-sentence. He'd ask a question, then not let the guy answer it.
That's because you can often tell for sure, in a half sentence, whether or not the guy is going to answer the question. That's the game most of these talking heads play. They wait for the question, then go on for two minutes without ever even TRYING to say yes, no, or I don't know. O'Reilly doesn't allow that, and all his guests are told the rules. The object is to have a discussion, not provide a platform for a monologue. In most cases they are either unable, or unwilling to comply, so in most cases they get interrupted constantly.

That is one of the main reasons O'Reilly has the highest ratings of all cable news programs. Higher than all non-Fox commentators combined, and also higher than any other Fox News commentator. People are just SO sick of so-called "intellectuals" refusing to answer simple yes/no questions. In many cases they are literally incapable of understanding and answering simple questions because they've never made any honest attempt to do so. No practice.

By all accounts, O'Reilly is a very laid back, congenial guy off the air. But on his show, he has a type of discipline -- and I don't think he even allows himself to wonder how it makes him look. I admire that, although I actually do think he goes overboard with it.

O'Reilly constantly interrupts people who agree with him 100% on an issue! Compare this to a guy like Hannity, who constantly interrupts all liberals, and lets all conservatives go on and on -- right to the commercial break if they so desire. That doesn't take discipline. It takes fanaticism.

Rick