Jacksonville TV not as good as Syracuse...antenna suggestion please.

We just moved to Kingsland GA, which is just about as far north of Jacksonville FL, as when we lived north of Syracuse, but the TV reception isn't as good in JAX. Maybe weaker/less channels or whatever, but maybe someone could recommend an antenna. We have one Stellar Labs 30-2425, and it works ok on one tv, but we need another recommendation for the other tv. We are getting 4, 17, 21, 30, 47, and 59 with the Stellar Labs, which isn't bad, but no ABC, NBC, or PBS. Unfortunately a high outdoor mount is not available right now, but will work toward that. We're just keping the antenna indoors right now and it's not to far off the ground. We're picking up channel 21 with no antenna, just a short piece of co-ax. Thanks, Ed

TV Fool link:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=e2cb488a7275c5

At your current location NBC, ABC, and PBS are high VHF signals. A high VHF,or dual band antenna will probably be needed. You could add a high VHF antenna coupled to the current one using a UVSJ, or buy a true dual band antenna.

Fortunately, your signal strength is great. You could probably pick up most of those channels with some rabbit ears.

As Steve said, a halfway-decent omni-directional dual-band antenna will get you pretty much everything you want. If you get a directional antenna, it may block out your Ion affiliate (21.1/RF channel 24, coming in from the northwest).

I have never recommended a so called omni-directional antenna. What I saw in the TV Fool report was the missing channels NBC, ABC, and PBS are being transmitted on high VHF real channels 7 to 13. What I recommended was getting an antenna designed to receive high VHF frequencies 174 to 216 MHz. While strong high VHF signals can often be received with a UHF antenna. The sometimes fragile PCB board UHF baluns used on most new UHF antennas often times do not pass VHF frequencies well. When there is a problem with VHF reception I always suggest using an antenna that was actually designed for reception of VHF channels.
The only widely available high VHF only antennas that I am aware of at this point in time are the Stellar Labs 30-2475, and 30-2476. A high VHF antenna would need to be coupled to the UHF antenna using a UVSJ.
http://www.dtvusaforum.com/threads/3438-Combining-a-UHF-and-VHF-antenna-w-amp-w-o-amps
There are several high VHF/UHF combo antennas available. Winegard HD7694P, Winegard HD7698P, Channel Master CM2018 and others.
I took time to look up edweather's previous posts and TV Fool from the previous location there were no nearby major network broadcasters using VHF at the previous location.

I have never recommended a so called omni-directional antenna.
Sorry, Steve. I was merely reiterating your point about it being a dual-band requirement (or rather, UHF with hi-VHF capability). The "omni-directional" part was entirely about making certain he could still pick up the ION station to his northwest. Didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers on semantics.

edweather

DTVUSA Member
Finally got around to it...

....and grabbed one of these and installed it in the attic on an old piece of dish mount hardware. Probally overkill, because I didn't realize how good the reception would be. Did a test run in the attic with my old uhf antenna after I ordered this one and was nailing all the uhf's. Now I'm getting the hi vhf as well, 7, 12, and 25 which is pbs, nbc, and abc. Just in time for the NFL playoffs. 29 channels total, at 80-100 reception. Oh yeah, couldn't resist the price, -FREE- from Amazon with a credit card application. The antenna isn't exactly as shown, but close, must be newer (or older :)) model.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027VST0I/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

P1013019.jpg P1013017.jpg P1013018.jpg

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Ed,

Congratulations! Your antenna mount is quite clever and I would have loved to watch you install your new antenna. That had to be an awful job. Enjoy the Playoffs!

Jim

Ed,

I've thought a number of times about purchasing this very antenna to replace my cheap Chinease POS antenna. I just wasn't sure how it would perform with off-angle broadcast stations. Based on your results and at that price, I may just try it out.

Thanks for the comments.

Was going to put it on the roof, but when I saw what great reception my diy uhf antenna was getting in the attic, that became first choice for placement. Actually wasn't too difficult to install. Thought about it for a long time, and then went slow and stayed calm. Tried one spot, and it didn't fit, and the second spot worked out. Unfolded the rear section in place, and installed it to the mount first, then installed the front section to it. Most of my stations are at about 175 mag degrees, and I have it pointed at about 180. Could probably tweak the direction a bit, but really no reason at this point. Using a splitter to 2 tvs and plan to add another tv, so it will be a 3 way splitter..

tballister

DTVUSAForum Member, , , Webmaster of: Antenna Hack
With the classic Y10-7-13 no longer being manufactured I got curious about how well the Stellar Labs' 30-2476 compares.

The answer is pretty well.

I've posted the comparison results to my http://www.antennahacks.com website in the Antenna Comparisons section.

Regards to all.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I have used several Stellar Labs antennas in different situations. I find them to be a good value, well built, and easily assembled. I do agree their specs are a bit exaggerated, but not as much as some manufacturers.