Jawbone Jambox

U

Unregistered

I've been thinking about buying a bluetooth "boombox" for a while but not quite sure which one I should get. One thing I like about the Jambox is its price at $180. The Bose SoundLink is so much more expensive. I've heard the Jambox at Best Buy but haven't found a place to demo the SoundLink.

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
Bose is almost twice the price, which is the usual with their speakers and equipment. You really have to demo both of them, but I've heard the Jambox and it sounds nice if you're less than 15' away from it.

FeliciaCorrine

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I've been thinking about buying a bluetooth "boombox" for a while but not quite sure which one I should get. One thing I like about the Jambox is its price at $180. The Bose SoundLink is so much more expensive. I've heard the Jambox at Best Buy but haven't found a place to demo the SoundLink.
Jambox is really small and SoundLink is slightly bigger. Jambox can pair with up to two devices, includes a speakerphone function, and can charge using any standard USB charger, on the other hand, SoundLink can remember up to six devices, and it has a user-replaceable LiIon battery. Jambox produces a surprising quality and volume of sound that belies its diminutive size. With the latest firmware update, the LiveSound feature greatly improves stereo separation so long as you are seated directly in front of the unit within a few feet. Move off center and the effect goes away. Jambox seems best suited for personal listening or for small groups. Both units are sensitive to room placement. For example, you can accentuate bass output by placing either unit on a table or counter backed into a corner.

SoundLink is simply more musical with better overall balance in sound, and it can output significantly louder volume than the Jambox if necessary. While Jambox provides a hint of bass, SoundLink lets you hear and enjoy bass melody lines, such as a fretless bass in acoustic jazz. SoundLink can fill a hotel room with enjoyable music you can listen to all day. Jambox is a neat trick, and sometimes sounds amazing, and sometimes not so much. In my opinion the Bose sounds slightly better, also the volume on the Bose seems to go much higher. Oh, SoundLink costs twice as much.

Both units are great, really. Jambox can slip into a laptop bag or jacket pocket. SoundLink easily packs into a roll aboard carry-on padded between clothes.