Jimmy Kimmel faking skits?

tmcmeekin

DTVUSA Member
Jimmy Kimmel's show is the subject of controversy for allegedly faking his "Lie Witness News" features, where his staff interviews people on the street and gets ridiculous answers about things that don't exist. Several people have come forward saying they were in on the joke or were coached by the show's producers to give funny answers.

Kimmel is denying this, although he's previously admitted to faking videos and putting them online hoping some would go viral (and then taking credit when they did), so he's certainly not above making things up for laughs.

Does it matter to you if the show is faking these? Does it change your opinion of Kimmel or his show?

SamuelB

DTVUSA Member
It certainly is a disappointment but how could you not expect than. I don't think anything is ever sincere in today' TV, I guess it's satifsactory enough for me that something is funny, and if that's not true... I have to live with it.

MMkaho

DTVUSA Member
Jimmy Kimmel's show is the subject of controversy for allegedly faking his "Lie Witness News" features, where his staff interviews people on the street and gets ridiculous answers about things that don't exist. Several people have come forward saying they were in on the joke or were coached by the show's producers to give funny answers.

Kimmel is denying this, although he's previously admitted to faking videos and putting them online hoping some would go viral (and then taking credit when they did), so he's certainly not above making things up for laughs.

Does it matter to you if the show is faking these? Does it change your opinion of Kimmel or his show?
This has been done with a numerous amount of shows, all they care about is ratings and keeping their fan base which surprisingly is a lot,

I never liked Jimmy Kimmel, something about his face. But his humor never appealed to me. I don't like most of the late-night scene except for Conan. He's definitely worthy of everyone's praise.

Cadus

DTVUSA Member
That's kinda disappointing to me. I don't care much for his show, but I see his skits on the internet all of the time. I'm not sure why, but most of their appeal is in their authenticity. In this case I think I would rather be ignorant, like a lot of people are about "reality" TV shows, so that I can enjoy the skits.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
If true, I'd be disappointed. I don't like that kind of thing, though it's gone on for decades. It's just like the screaming fans for musicians - paid or stuck in front to act a certain way.

James

DTVUSA Member
I'm generalizing but what show today that claims to be "reality" is not completely staged? Nothing on the Discovery family of reality channels. Maybe a local news guy out in the weather.

tmcmeekin

DTVUSA Member
Maybe a local news guy out in the weather.
Sorry to disappoint, but local TV news is not much better at "reality." They stage "live shots" that have no meaning or reason other than to have a live shot. They'll have someone stand in a parking lot somewhere that's no more important to the story than the newsroom is. They'll even look "messy" on purpose because it looks better covering a storm with windblown hair than if they looked like a model, when they've really only just stepped outside the van a moment ago. They cover certain topics (and particularly certain types of crime, and the races of people involved in the crime) in ways that are biased, and don't reflect the real statistics. They use sensationalist terminology that is not correct. They use random viewer comments (from Twitter, Facebook, etc) and man-on-the-street interviews to discuss things without any proof the viewer even knows what they're talking about. And more...