Johnny Carson Goes Digital

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Johnny Carson Goes Digital

From the article:

... "Johnny Carson's 30-year run as host of 'The Tonight Show' ended with his retirement in 1992, and he passed away in 2005, but he's finally back -- in digital form.

Some 3,500 hours of archival 'Tonight' clips, which were buried for decades in a Kansas salt mine (no, really!), have been digitized and uploaded into a searchable online archive, the New York Times reports." ...
----------------------------------
Johnny Carson, Now Quipping Online

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/11/arts/television/11carson.html?_r=1

From the article:

"In one of his last “Tonight Show” monologues, in 1992, Johnny Carson informed his audience that a virus had struck the program’s computers, wiping out “29 years of our writers’ material.” ...

... "Not much from the first 10 years of Carson’s “Tonight Show” (he took over in 1962) has survived, having been destroyed in an era when no one contemplated the possibility of home video. But the existing tapes, along with a complete library of shows from 1973 on, were kept in storage — and this is not a joke from a Carson monologue — in a salt mine in Kansas." ...

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
You know, I heard about this on the news last night but when I went to the website, all I saw were the DVD sales and about 8 clips per video. If anyone can actually find this search function where you can view these things, PLEASE send the URL. I could not find anything new. I was so disappointed. The closest I got was a notation about all of the shows being digitalized and available for licensing.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T blog 1