Julia Child

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
Look up the wiki for "The French Chef," which was her original show. You saw either reruns of that, or any one of about a half-dozen PBS shows she appeared in regularly from the 1970s until well into the 1990s. Even now, a half decade after her death -- and nearly a half century after "French Chef" first aired -- Julia Child is still a ubiquitous PBS staple: I watched a segment of "Baking with Julia" late last night on the Create subchannel!

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
Julia Child's early television series work is fantastic. She actually taught people more than just how to prepare one meal. As you can see with the chicken lineup there.

Good Eats is its better but in the same vein, it teaches people how to cook, and about ingredients, not just how to prep one meal. You can get tips and ideas here and there from other cooking shows, but these 2 represent the best of actually teaching someone how to cook.

I also like Cook's Country on PBS, from the Cook's Illustrated people, who are also top notch...and produce top notch Cook Book's as well. Their magazine is fantastic.

Good Eats is its better but in the same vein, it teaches people how to cook, and about ingredients, not just how to prep one meal. You can get tips and ideas here and there from other cooking shows, but these 2 represent the best of actually teaching someone how to cook.
Big fan of Good Eats, Alton Brown makes the art of cooking very entertaining.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Big fan of Good Eats, Alton Brown makes the art of cooking very entertaining.
More like the science of cooking. Big fan of Alton, his commentary on Iron Chef America is great too.

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
BTW, I have no interest in seeing the new Julia Child movie. Much better to rent or buy the old series The French Chef from the beginning and watch it.

I do a great impression of Julia Child as well.

chrisis

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I remember seeing her a lot in the early 90's on TV! Such an influental cook and chef! Truly talented in my opinion. Loved her episodes and weird accent/voice.