Just an intro

Rosa

DTVUSA Member
I've been hanging out here and getting some help here this week so I thought I would tell you a little about myself.

I've decided to disconnect the Cable TV line from my wallet and go to free OTA programming. I don't watch much TV to begin with but I do enjoy watching the news and am very thankful for all the help I've received here. Before things were simply, all I had to do was use the old rabbit ears and I got enough reception to fill my needs. But now with all the digital changes I found myself completely lost which is how I ended up here :becky:

Most of my time is spent with the loves of my life, my three Long Coated German Shepherd Dogs. Does anyone else here have pets? In addition to my own dogs I've been active in German Shepherd Rescue for about ten years now. It's hard work but very rewarding.

I love to travel and each year enjoy spending several weeks on the road with my furcrew. Thankfully all my dogs travel well and together we've traveled through about half of the states so far. Friends often ask 'aren't I afraid to travel alone....' my reply 'believe you me, I'm the safest person on the road with my dogs watching over me and THEIR car'.

So thats a little bit about me.

In friendship,
Rosa

Rosa

DTVUSA Member
OMG, they are soooo cute!!!! Good snacks, noooo way...they are adorable. Are they boy and girl? How old are they? My oldest is a male named Shiloh, he'll be 7 this year. Shoshona, my little girl, will be 6 this year and the Baby, Eli is 3. I have an idea but I don't know if it will work....I'll be back.

Rosa

DTVUSA Member
Darn, I was trying to post my dogs pic but they've made so many changes on our work computers we just can't access much anymore (incl. my pics). oh well.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Rosa,
Your photo came posted fine. Handsome trio!

Jay,
Is that a current photo? I detect a sneer aimed at you on the left dog's face! Ha ha.
Jim

Last edited:

Rosa

DTVUSA Member
Thanks. We took that just a few months ago on a trip we took up north in Lassen National Forest. Thankfully the right pic posted, I kind of did that blindly from work :) The one on the left is Shoshona, Shiloh is on the Right and Eli is lying in the front. I try to tire them out a bit and then have them all sit/lay down for pictures otherwise they're busy looking at everything else.

I use to use photobucket all the time. Its good. Lately they have a lot more ad's on there and it can get frustrating trying to see your pictures, but its free so I guess you can't argue with that much.

And yes, there is a typo in my title-I meant to write 'just an intro' but by the time I realized it it was too late.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
OMG, they are soooo cute!!!! Good snacks, noooo way...they are adorable. Are they boy and girl? How old are they? My oldest is a male named Shiloh, he'll be 7 this year. Shoshona, my little girl, will be 6 this year and the Baby, Eli is 3. I have an idea but I don't know if it will work....I'll be back.
ahh, great picture of your "pups". We babysat a German Shep last year when one of our friends went out of town; it was such a well behaved dog...but so big compared to our little guys. :)

You are correct...boy on left (Maltese) and girl on right (Papillon). Bogart (13) and Sympher (8) are quite the pair...she's the brains and he's the muscle. lol.

Rosa,
Your photo came posted fine. Handsome trio!

Jay,
Is that a current photo? I detect a sneer aimed at you on the left dog's face! Ha ha.
Jim
I know! We were trying to get them to pose, and little Sympher kept agitating Bogart by sniffing his ear and I happened to snap a pic right as he closed his left eye in reaction to her. Photo is about 1 year old. Little Bogart has gained some weight going on Chemo this year, but doing well overall. He went in for an ultrasound last week; doc told us that the meds are helping to keep his tumor in check. He's been a trooper. :)

Rosa

DTVUSA Member
I'm sorry to hear about your dogs tumor but thankfully that he is doing so well. I know how hard it is when one of them gets sick or injuired. I tell ya, it just breaks the heart.

Before this I had never had more than one dog at a time, but since I added a second, and later a third, I will never go back to having just one. I just love to watch the way they play and interact with eachother. I have an agility run set up for them so today we spent most of the day outside praticing and having everyone do the obsticles. It was lots of fun, mostly just messing around but it keeps them busy and gets me outside.

Well I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend. I'm kind of tired so I'll be short tonight.

Be well,
Rosa

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sorry to hear about your dogs tumor but thankfully that he is doing so well. I know how hard it is when one of them gets sick or injuired. I tell ya, it just breaks the heart.

Before this I had never had more than one dog at a time, but since I added a second, and later a third, I will never go back to having just one. I just love to watch the way they play and interact with eachother. I have an agility run set up for them so today we spent most of the day outside praticing and having everyone do the obsticles. It was lots of fun, mostly just messing around but it keeps them busy and gets me outside.

Well I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend. I'm kind of tired so I'll be short tonight.

Be well,
Rosa
Thanks for the kind words. The doctors haven't been able to give a prognosis due to the rareness of his tumor, but he does seem to be doing well.

My wife and I are away from the house 10-12 hours a day (6 days a week), so having a second dog is almost a must for us. We've been playing with the "3 dog" idea for some time but our backyard is just too small. Definitely agree with you on having multiple dogs...though boarding can get pricey for extended vacations. :)

Rosa

DTVUSA Member
Oh Jay, threes a great number! :) I think the important thing is matching the temperments of the dogs you already have with the new dog. I was very lucky in that my friend, and breeder, worked hard to match what was needed in my pack. But of course, when one is added it costs a lot more and is a bit more work. The hardest part is making sure I find time to be with each one and spend that one on one time training as well as taking them away from 'the pack'. Its a lot of work, but its also a labor of love.

There seems to be in increase in Cancer lately in dogs. I know my breed is starting to be affected by it more. I've been blessed so far although last year my little girl Bloated-her stomach filled with gas cutting off the blood supply to all the organs behind the stomach. Then it flipped which cut off the blood supply to the stomach as well. I had never sceen Bloat before but it was always in the back of my mind and when it happened I knew what it was. Thankfully I was able to get her to the Vet in time for the surgery that saved her life. She was a few that made it through with no further complications.

But back to the Cancer, your clearly doing a lot of things right with the ages of your dogs. I feed my dogs organic foods and make all their treats and cookies myself. There's just so much junk out there on the shelfs these days. I would def stay away from anything with dyes it in. Theres really no reason to have dyes added to dog products (this is done only to attract people, not dogs). I guess it was that scare a few years ago that got me to thinking about what I was feeding my dogs and the implications of it.

Well, I hope you had a great weekend. We've still got sunshine here so I better head back outside.

Take care,
Rosa

Rosa

DTVUSA Member
Oh yes, boarding can be expenisive. Since I take my dogs with me on all my trips I'm able to avoid that cost I also save tons of money when I travel since I have to pass on many of the things I would otherwise do but can't since I have dogs in the car :) Its kind of funny. I always call and make reservations ahead of time. I find the places that say they are 'pet friendly' then I ask them how pet friendly are they? Are they little dog pet friendly or three large german Shepherds friendly? They usually laugh and it breaks the ice a bit. So far I've been able to take them just about everywhere. Heck, I have a trip planned for this year and in South Dakota there's a Dinner/Chuckwagon Show and we'll be attending that! I think I'll get them little cowboy hats and they can wear their bandanas-that might make other patrons feel more comfortable if they have to pass by us. But there is all kinds of things to do with dogs.

Rosa

DTVUSA Member
Did you guys see this newstory? I saw the video this weekend, it really is amazing!

Caught on video: Hero dog leads Alaska troopers to raging house fire | News10.net | Sacramento, California | Entertainment News

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) -- A dashcam video from the Alaska State Troopers shows a dog leading them through winding back roads to a blazing fire at his owners' property.

The video on the troopers' website shows the German shepherd running to meet the trooper's vehicle, then racing to the house on Caswell Lakes on April 4.

Troopers say Buddy and his owner, 23-year-old Ben Heinrichs, were in the family workshop when a heater ignited chemicals. Heinrichs told Buddy: "We need to get help."

The dog eventually found a trooper responding to a call about the fire.

The State Troopers are presenting a special award Friday to the dog. Buddy will receive an engraved silver-plated dog bowl in Anchorage.

Heinrichs suffered minor flash burns on his face. The workshop was destroyed, but only some window trim on the house was damaged.

Rosa

DTVUSA Member
Thanks Aaron. Shiloh weighs about 93 lbs, Shoshona a slim 70 lbs and the 'baby' Eli tips the scales at 128 lbs. When we go for walks people def get out of our ways :)