Just decided on the switch, am i close?

keithsan

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Ok, I've been firing through the threads trying to figure out everything you all know. I think i have it but I'm a little unsure. Currently I'm on vacation and won't be home for 2 weeks to look at my setup. Which Is:

I currently have a 46"panasonic viera which I think has an ATSC tuner.
I'm currently using dishnetwork as a provider but will cancel them.
--I am wondering if I can use their bases to set up an antenna and use their wires since they already run into my home.

I could also just add a chimney antenna and run a line pretty much straight down which should be fairly simple.

I own a blu ray player that has netflix etc, if i want it, also I can load movies/tv via an external drive if I need to.

Here is my tv fool zone: TV Fool

In general my questions would be. Is it easier to run off the satelites using their cables, or add my own off chimney?
What antenna?
Can I split to another TV? or, will that lower reception
I shouldn't need a converter box, correct?

What do you pro's think? Am I missing anything?

Thanks!

Last edited:

dave73

DTVUSA Member
Where is your satellite dish mounted? That would determine whether you can mount your antenna, on the pole that your dish is on now. Next, are you only wanting Boston stations? If so, then you just need a UHF antenna. You will need a good view of magnetic west with a slight aim north of that. With that in mind, if the pole is in the right spot, then I would try to mount the antenna on that pole, & use the existing cables first.

However, if your pole is in the wrong spot, then you'll have to mount your antenna somewhere else, & you mentioned your chimney. Make sure your chimney is in good condition before trying to mount your antenna on the chimney. You need the right mounting hardware, & it'll need to be grounded with at least #10 copper, though I would go with #8. You will need to run new RG6 coax if you go with the chimney route.

Regardless of which spot you mount your antenna, we'll need to know which stations you're looking to get, so that we can recommend an antenna or 2. If you only want Boston stations, then you just need a UHF only antenna. If you want any of the stations out of New Hampshire and/or Rhode Island as well, then you'll need a VHF-Hi/UHF antenna on a rotator, or use separate antennas, & use an A/B switch to switch between antennas.

As for your TV, if it was made in 2007 to now, it'll have the digital tuner built-in. If the back of your TV says ATSC on it, then it already has a digital tuner, & requires just an antenna hooked to your TV. Make sure you set it to Antenna or Air (depending on what the TV calls OTA broadcasts), then have the TV do a scan for all channels. If you're knowledgeable enough, if your TV allows you to enter channels manually, refer to rabbitears.info for exact channel number when manually putting them in. That way, if you use separate antennas for different directions, you don't have to rescan everytime you change antennas. My Haier 7 inch portable TV doesn't allow me to enter digital channels manually (it does for analog). So a rescan must be done if I were to use different antennas, since I can hook a coax to it, & not use the telescopic antenna that comes with it.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Like Dave says above the Boston stations should be a piece of cake as long as you have a clear view to the east-northeast.

I'd say that a small 2 bay UHF antenna would be adequate for the Boston stations. Pointed at 300 degrees from magnetic north.

As far as the Panasonic Viera is concerned, since they still make them, I'm pretty sure it has a digital tuner. (All TVs manufactured after 2007 were required to have them.)

Antenna suggestions:

Antennas Direct DB2-E UHF Extended Range HDTV Antenna

Channel Master 4220HD 2-Bay HDTV/UHF TV Antenna

Eagle Aspen Pro-Brand DTV2BUHF 2-Bay Uhf Antenna

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Here is your new "cable package" (you could get more with a big antenna and rotor)

2.1 WGBH PBS
2.2 PBS World
4.1 CBS
5.1 ABC
5.2 Me-TV
7.1 NBC
7.2 THIS TV
25.1 FOX
38.1 MyNetworkTV
44.1 WBGX PBS
44.2 PBS World
44.3 Create
44.4 PBS Kids
48.1 Daystar
56.1 CW
56.2 The Country Network
62.1 Me-TV
62.2 RTV
68.1 Ion
68.2 Qubo
68.3 Ion Life

keithsan

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Thanks Dave, I will give a shot on the satelite set ups, I actually have 2, both dish Hopefully that will work, I think I can aim better West but maybe not North west from that location as it's on the lower side of the room but I won't know till I'm up there.

It doesn't look like anything interesting from N.H. so i will probably skip them.

Thanks Dkreichen! I'll look into those antenna's Doesn't seem like much of a channel line up though. But I shouldn't need more, that is the point.

Doesn't seem like much of a channel line up though.
Man, these kids nowadays are SPOILED. For the first 25 years of my life we had THREE CHANNELS, and dang glad to have 'em. And I lived halfway between Chicago and Milwaukee. Most people had one channel. Some had no channel.

Welcome to the forum, keith. Lemme know when you can watch those 21 channels ALL AT ONCE. :alien: Geesh! ;)

Rick

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Man, these kids nowadays are SPOILED. For the first 25 years of my life we had THREE CHANNELS, and dang glad to have 'em. And I lived halfway between Chicago and Milwaukee. Most people had one channel. Some had no channel.

Welcome to the forum, keith. Lemme know when you can watch those 21 channels ALL AT ONCE. :alien: Geesh! ;)

Rick
Yes, and now "not much of a channel line up" is all 5 networks, Ion, MyNetworkTV, PBS, two classic TV networks (RTV and Me-TV), two kids networks (Qubo and PBS Kids), two lifestyle networks (Ion Life and Create), a movie channel (THIS TV), and a music channel (The Country Network). Back in the day there were a lot of cable systems that had less, and they certainly didn't have HD. ;)

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member

Rick
You forgot...
"You kids GET OFF MY LAWN!!"

keithsan

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Rick u seem like a real ball of fun ;)

wish i didn't grow up with 3 channels myself.

I don't need all 300 of them, will miss my local sports affiliate though :(

J

Jedi Master

I would rather have the three channels I grew up with in the 70s and 80s than the 300 channels full of crap they sell for $100 a month today. Thank goodness I get MeTV on a subchannel in my area.

keithsan

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Like Dave says above the Boston stations should be a piece of cake as long as you have a clear view to the east-northeast.

I'd say that a small 2 bay UHF antenna would be adequate for the Boston stations. Pointed at 300 degrees from magnetic north.

As far as the Panasonic Viera is concerned, since they still make them, I'm pretty sure it has a digital tuner. (All TVs manufactured after 2007 were required to have them.)

Antenna suggestions:

Antennas Direct DB2-E UHF Extended Range HDTV Antenna

Channel Master 4220HD 2-Bay HDTV/UHF TV Antenna

Eagle Aspen Pro-Brand DTV2BUHF 2-Bay Uhf Antenna
picked up the first antenna you posted through your link...

Will be back in the states in 2 days and will hook it up when it arrives.
Now I need to find a way to get NESN (new england sports network)

I'll post again once I'm set up, which hopefully won't take long.

scajjr2

DTVUSA Member

keithsan

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Pulled down the dish satellites today and attached the antenna to a mast, and aimed for boston.

Tv says I have 39 channels all digital, not sure how true that is as I haven't counted. The HD actually comes in great!!

This was a surprise to me. The only trouble I ran into was the dish splitters. As soon as I removed those splitters I picked up the signal. I then added a different splitter and was able to put the antenna on another tv as well.

Thanks for everyones help. I love the "freeness" of it, and the kids ended up watching some animal show on QUBO this am, instead of the garbage they had on the DVR.

Thanks again!

dkreichen1968

Staff member
This was a surprise to me. The only trouble I ran into was the dish splitters. As soon as I removed those splitters I picked up the signal. I then added a different splitter and was able to put the antenna on another tv as well.
We should have warned you. Glad to see that you figured it out yourself. Tha satellite splitteres are often designed to filter out the lower frequencies so they can't be used for OTA or cable. On the other hand many OTA/cable splitters only go up to 900 to 1000 MHz which effectively filters out satellite frequencies.