Just how much money has the Government made on the Digital Transition

O-O

DTVUSA Member
All this talk of cable and satellite companies profiting off of the digital transition, but what i want to know is how much total the US Government has made from selling analog airwaves. :pop2:

Piggie

Super Moderator
They made 19.6 billion on the auction and spent $650 million of it on converter boxes. The sad thing is if they had of left channels 52-59, it would have over time pumped much more money into the economy. In other words to me that sounds too cheap.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
They made 19.6 billion on the auction and spent $650 million of it on converter boxes.
I think there is still another small band left to sell.

The sad thing is if they had of left channels 52-59, it would have over time pumped much more money into the economy. In other words to me that sounds too cheap.
I think reasonable people disagree with that. It might be interesting to see your business plan that shows that more economic activity would come from the government maintaining control of those frequencies. Do keep in mind, though, that you have to factor in the impact of the use that the companies who are leasing that bandwidth will make. They will be offering services, collecting and paying taxes, paying employees, etc. Given that only 30 channels total, nationwide, have been lost, there is no reason I can see to think that leaving those frequencies as you would have left them results in any significant amount of economic loss.