Just joined the 21st century

DTVUSA Rookie
Hi everyone! New here as you can see. I'll get right to the point, I liked being able to come home turn on the TV and get 13 channels to view for free. Living across the river from NYC it was free and easy.

Anyway, fast forward and:

The wife went out and bought 2 new TV's 1 27" flat panel for the bedroom which is a 720 (dpi?) and a 40" for the living area that is 1080 (DPI?) and operates at 120 hz.

The problem I may be having is the DTV box that comes with my package only has older style connecting cables sort of like old (RCA) connections 3 color coded wires that plug into the TV and DTV box then into the surround sound system.

I've been told (By a salesman) that these style cable connectors won't give me 1080 or 120 hz. operation.

I don't think I can get 120 hz anyway as transmission lines only transmit at 60hz. so this may be a mute point. But what about the 720 vs. 1080 dpi stuff? Would i be able to see any difference in my picture and how can I get DTV to give me a box with HDMI connections? They said my package is not an HD package and they want me to pay more for it.

I'm thinking they can only transmit on one level so if I change the receiving box I might get a better quality signal, what do you say?

I'm not too bright so speak slowly!

Any help or info at all for me will a wonderful thing.

Thanks

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
Welcome to the forum! Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but you mentioned getting free over-the-air on your old TV and then getting 2 new TV's which you're attempting to connect to some kind of box? Is it a cable box? Or?

Also, do the new TVs have digital tuners?

DTVUSA Rookie
Welcome to the forum! Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but you mentioned getting free over-the-air on your old TV and then getting 2 new TV's which you're attempting to connect to some kind of box? Is it a cable box? Or?

Also, do the new TVs have digital tuners?

Nope your not misunderstanding me I'm a dummy when it comes to this stuff and I'm not explaing it well.

OLD TV was the old style non hd non flat panel etc. just a pair of rabbit ears like the Cunninghams had on happy days!

I live in Jersey city NJ 1 mile from the WTC or empire state building where they transmit from so until very rectly I got TV for free all the time. I paid by watching commercials every 10 minutes or so.

Now we went to digital signal and I can still get a picture using the old rabbit ears but when it rains or is cloudy the signal is horrible.

So the wife put on her pants again and bought 2 new TV's both flat panel LCD TV's.

The smaller one is 720 and 60 hz the bigger one is 1080 and 120 hz.

I assume being they aree new they have digital tuners. we also ordered DTV it has a smallish dish mounted on the side of the house pointed up to the sky. It's about 18" in diameter and grey in color.

The company siad we didn't pay the extra cost for there "High Def" package so on the black box that the remote works off of does not have HDMI hook ups, only older type RCA jacks. (I know they are not called rca but it looks almost the same, different colors).

I want to know if I bought a box from ebay that had HDMI connections would I then geta better picture? Or am I forced to pay for a better package to see the full 1080 the TV is capable of running?

If I need to be more clear or am just way off base ask me anythiong you need and I'll do my best to supply you with the info you need to help me.

Aint I nice?

Thanks guys/gals!

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Nope your not misunderstanding me I'm a dummy when it comes to this stuff and I'm not explaing it well.

OLD TV was the old style non hd non flat panel etc. just a pair of rabbit ears like the Cunninghams had on happy days!

I live in Jersey city NJ 1 mile from the WTC or empire state building where they transmit from so until very rectly I got TV for free all the time. I paid by watching commercials every 10 minutes or so.

Now we went to digital signal and I can still get a picture using the old rabbit ears but when it rains or is cloudy the signal is horrible.

So the wife put on her pants again and bought 2 new TV's both flat panel LCD TV's.

The smaller one is 720 and 60 hz the bigger one is 1080 and 120 hz.

I assume being they aree new they have digital tuners. we also ordered DTV it has a smallish dish mounted on the side of the house pointed up to the sky. It's about 18" in diameter and grey in color.

The company siad we didn't pay the extra cost for there "High Def" package so on the black box that the remote works off of does not have HDMI hook ups, only older type RCA jacks. (I know they are not called rca but it looks almost the same, different colors).

I want to know if I bought a box from ebay that had HDMI connections would I then geta better picture? Or am I forced to pay for a better package to see the full 1080 the TV is capable of running?

If I need to be more clear or am just way off base ask me anythiong you need and I'll do my best to supply you with the info you need to help me.

Aint I nice?

Thanks guys/gals!
So you're using a DirecTV box? Unfortunately, you won't be able to get their channels in HD without upgrading your set top box from them. You can however watch your local stations in HD by switching to your TV's digital tuners and using an antenna. I'd check with them and see what kind of deals they're running. I don't think it costs that much more to upgrade to their digital tier. :)

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
I take it that you want to connect one of the TVs to DirecTV, and the other to the rabbit ears. Is this correct? If so:

• Yes, you'll need to upgrade the DirecTV box if you want anything more than standard definition video and analog stereo sound on the new receiver. Then you'll be able to run an HDMI cable from the satellite box straight to the tuner. Be sure to re-scan for channels after installing the new box and cable so that you can watch all your HD channels. Putting an extra box between the set and the DTV receiver adds a layer of complexity -- and one more thing that can potentially go wrong later. You're much better off with the better package -- or a second set of rabbit ears, if your contract obligation is up and you're ready to ditch the dish.

• Setting up the "rabbit ears" TV hasn't changed all that much from the analog days, except of course for the channel scan. Hook up the antenna's cable to the RF connector in the back of the set, locate the signal source selection dialog in the setup menu of the TV set, select "air," "antenna," "broadcast" or the like (as opposed to "cable/satellite"), and then scan for channels.

Couple of other things: 720p and 10080i refer to the number of scan lines and scanning method. Basically, it means there are either 720 or 1080 horizontal lines that make up the video image. The older, CRT-based analog TVs were capable of 480 lines. The term "120 Hz" has to do with how often the panel is capable of refreshing the video image. Here, it means 120 times per second.

DTVUSA Rookie
So you're using a DirecTV box? Unfortunately, you won't be able to get their channels in HD without upgrading your set top box from them. You can however watch your local stations in HD by switching to your TV's digital tuners and using an antenna. I'd check with them and see what kind of deals they're running. I don't think it costs that much more to upgrade to their digital tier. :)

So I can't just go on ebay and buy a better box I've got to "rent one" from DTV and pay every month?

I think the price to upgrade is about $20 a month on top of the $30 I'm now paying. It just rubs me the wrong way, I don't watch that much TV to begin with and now I've got to pay.

OK I'll stop complaining about paying..

Thanks guys again!

So can I buy a box and hook it up where my current box is and just swap them out? Sounds to good to be true.

why pay for it through direct tv when you can get them for nothing with the antenna? you only live 1 mile from the tower, so that shouldnt be a real challenge

DTVUSA Rookie
OK when it rains or get cloudy the signal gets digitized or pixilated (if they are words).

So the rabbit ears are out!

OK my TV is a Sharp Aquos model 40R77UN and the Direct TV box is model # R16.300

I guess I just want to know if I can buy a different box some place and hook it up via HDMI cables and have 1080 and 120hz.?

Right now my box uses color coded cable connections that look like old rca lines.

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
Couldn't he just hook up the DTV box via composite or S-video to his TV then hook the antenna directly into the TV?
It depends on the receiver model. To do this, the TV has to be capable of retaining lists of both OTA and cable-channel scans. Some will; others can't retain both at the same time. If the set can do this, one would need to grab the TV's remote and navigate the setup menu to toggle the signal input between cable/satellite (to watch analog cable-only channels) and antenna (for OTA HD). That's straightforward on some sets, but not on others.