just purchased a DVD Recorder.

dbcooper

DTVUSA Member
my old dvd player gave out, so i decided to buy a DVD recorder:this one..

so far, ive copied one of my old VHS home movies to DVD, and it plays fine in the new DVD recorder, but the disc doesnt play in my other DVD players all of which are fairly new and supposed to play DVD-R & DVD-RW discs.. my newly copied disc also does not play in any of my computers, it makes a noise like its trying to read the disc, but its like its blank, when i navigate to E: it just says 0 bytes for everything..

i know the discs are suppose to finalize, i think this DVD recorder is supposed to do that automatically, i didnt *specifically* finalize it, but i saw the TV screen say "finalizing" and i left the room, when i came back everything was done recording and nothing was on the screen, so i just took the DVD out..

could this be because im using crappy Office Depot brand blank discs?

any ideas why i'm not able to play my disc back in anything other than the new DVD recorder?

any help is appreciated!

Last edited:

Byte24

DTVUSA Member
Hi db, have you converted the files over to tv standard NTSC? Also, some of the older DVD players can't play burned DVDs. What model is the DVD player you're trying to play the DVD on?

dbcooper

DTVUSA Member
Hi db, have you converted the files over to tv standard NTSC? Also, some of the older DVD players can't play burned DVDs. What model is the DVD player you're trying to play the DVD on?
hey thanks for repsonding! im not sure about converting anything to NTSC, the owners manual didnt say anything i saw about that.

the other DVD player is a Sony, it has played other DVD-R discs for me in the past..

dbcooper

DTVUSA Member
woohoo! i figured it out.. i was wrong when i said the screen said "finalizing", it said something else.

i ended up finding the "finalize" option on the menu :confused:

duh.. i dont claim to be smart... and i dont always read instruction manuals thoroughly.. that doesnt make a good mix.

:)

acwriter

DTVUSA Member
Hey, don't feel bad about having trouble. It is very confusing, trying to figure out which disc can burn and be read in each player. There are so many types of disc and players to choose from. It will be nice when they can make a one for all. No more confusion on matching up dvd types with dvd players. One disc does it all. Hmmm, maybe I should get to work on designing it? :rolleyes:

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
woohoo! i figured it out.. i was wrong when i said the screen said "finalizing", it said something else.

i ended up finding the "finalize" option on the menu :confused:

duh.. i dont claim to be smart... and i dont always read instruction manuals thoroughly.. that doesnt make a good mix.

:)
Ahh great, that "finalize" option gets me every time on my computer when I'm burning DVDs.

The DVR recorders are very complicated. My father can't figure it out for his life so he actually returned the thing before reading all of the directions...LOL. But I am glad that you figured it out.

jack

DTVUSA Member
A DVD recorderis an optical disc recorder that records video onto blank writeable DVD media. Such devices are available as either installable drives for computers or as standalone components for use in studios or home theatre systems.