Just Recived mine: Quick Review

Well well well, I can say we definetly have a winner here in my case. I ordered one online with my last coupon, and it's definetly a big step up from the magnavox TB100MW9.

I am recieving 9 channels in total. This is the most I've ever gotten.

4.1 - WBZ-TV
2.1 - WGBH-HD (PBS) (high def)
2.2 - WGBH-SD (PBS) (standard def)
7.1 - WHDH-HD (NBC) (high def)
7.2 - WHDH-SD (NBC) (standard def)
44.1 - WGBX-44 (PBS) (standard def - main network)
44.2 - WGBH-44 (World) (standard def)
44.3 - WGBH-44 (CREATE) (standard def)
44.4 - WGBH-44 (PBS Kids) (standard def)

All channels on the signal bar are right in the middle. Maybe I just have my antenna in a good spot....

Pros:

Has a power button on the box
Remote is not big and bulky
EPG has much more features including what's on before, and next. Up to 6-12 hours ahead. Includes ratings and program info.
Aspect Ratios: Squeezed, Cropped, letterbox, or by the program's format
Signal bar makes a "BEEP" noise when it's picking up a signal. The faster it beeps, the stronger the signal. The slower it beeps, the weaker the signal. Very convenient for when i'm far away from the TV so I know if I'm getting a drop-out.
Box is VERY VERY small. Like the size of a little DSL modem.
AC adapter can be taken out. (no built in cord).

Cons:

On screen guides are small letters. Hard to see when far away.

Vents are on the bottom of the box.

I give this box an 8/10, some stations are not operating at full power yet, so I'm patiently waiting to hopefully get more channels in.

9 channels, most I've ever got!

I think the DTVPal can too, since it uses a AC-adapter. anything that can output 12V to it would work. but only in a vehicle. i don't think it'd be handy using a portable TV with a huge Deep Cycle holding you back.

divxhacker

DTVUSA Member
Just got it from FreeTVsignal.com No universal remote.

WHOO! The box and the remote both stink of uncured plastic. It's making me a little dizzy, wonder how it'll be when it gets warm. The box is pretty flimsy looking - as the plastic ages, the snap-tabs in the front and sides will come out of alignment. It might take a while before that happens. It's held by two screws under the front feet. The batteries that came with it are also bad - one corroded in the package. There was no dessicant packet inside to prevent that. The flow solder job on the circuit board looks messy - I saw residue marks from the solder flow mask that was applied to the circuitboard after the microelectronics were soldered on. What wasn't covered by this mask showed a very faint whitish residue. Smelly, and messy looking there. The box could also have been made a bit smaller since there was a half inch of space in front of the circuitboard (Deep-sunken LED highlights the edge) and 4/5th inch of to the right of the TV tuner. Guess they didn't want it to look TOO small as it's pretty tiny to start off with.

Tuner: SANYO can tuner
CPU: LG LGDT1111T (200Mhz)
Memory: NANYA NT5DS16M16CS-5T (256 MB)
Flash: EON EN29LV160AT-70TCP (2KB) (V2.01B sticker)

Hmm, no real CPU? Are they assigning CPU tasks to the video processor alone? With half the memory of the Insignia/Zenith models? That's GOT to put a serious cramp in the picture quality.

It has a 3-pin data port in the back, possibly for updating firmware. There's another 7-pin cable connector inside by the tuner - it's similar to a tuner daughtercard connector found in some VCRs.

The top button has a plastic arm that reaches over the CPU to activate the switch by the memory. There is one unused button inside - doesn't do much. Pressing it resets the box. Perhaps it was a button left in for testing purposes.

Channel search is simple. Picture quality is okay, not that great, there's detectable "jaggies" - horizontal line blurs - in cartoons. Oh, the remote has a function that DTVuser2009 would LOVE! The "Freeze" button will freeze the image. It's not a perfect freeze, any motion that was in the frame, would have an "epileptic" look. Even screen flashes would loop. For that, this function should have a SEIZURE WARNING! Pressing Info twice would remove the "FREEZE" text box. That way you can catch that subliminal "EAT" message at the right moment.

EPG is AWESOME !!!!! It lets you scroll through the channel list and calls up to 18 lines of programming covering 11 hours. Information is sometimes obtained on a channel after navigating away from the channel, so you might need to do forward-forward, back sometimes. At least it's not like the the Konami Code: Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A. Okay, so I'm gearing up for Video Gaming at Califur with my NES system. Go figure. :)

Anyhoo, for its small size, it works great. The GUI is simple, just text and a few b/w icons. What can you expect from a 2 KB flash? The can style tuner might have some problems in high line-noise locations. The most notable features of this box is the "Freeze" function and the 13-line EPG. This one is okay if you can't get a DTVPal Plus.

Last edited:

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
EPG is AWESOME !!!!! It lets you scroll through the channel list and calls up to 18 lines of programming covering 11 hours. Information is sometimes obtained on a channel after navigating away from the channel, so you might need to do forward-forward, back sometimes. At least it's not like the the Konami Code: Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A. Okay, so I'm gearing up for Video Gaming at Califur with my NES system. Go figure. :)
Contra!!!!! Very few of us will get that joke, very few my friend. :becky:

I had no idea the Artec had a worthy EPG. Good review.

Well well well, I can say we definetly have a winner here in my case. I ordered one online with my last coupon, and it's definetly a big step up from the magnavox TB100MW9.

I am recieving 9 channels in total. This is the most I've ever gotten.

4.1 - WBZ-TV
2.1 - WGBH-HD (PBS) (high def)
2.2 - WGBH-SD (PBS) (standard def)
7.1 - WHDH-HD (NBC) (high def)
7.2 - WHDH-SD (NBC) (standard def)
44.1 - WGBX-44 (PBS) (standard def - main network)
44.2 - WGBH-44 (World) (standard def)
44.3 - WGBH-44 (CREATE) (standard def)
44.4 - WGBH-44 (PBS Kids) (standard def)

All channels on the signal bar are right in the middle. Maybe I just have my antenna in a good spot....

Pros:

Has a power button on the box
Remote is not big and bulky
EPG has much more features including what's on before, and next. Up to 6-12 hours ahead. Includes ratings and program info.
Aspect Ratios: Squeezed, Cropped, letterbox, or by the program's format
Signal bar makes a "BEEP" noise when it's picking up a signal. The faster it beeps, the stronger the signal. The slower it beeps, the weaker the signal. Very convenient for when i'm far away from the TV so I know if I'm getting a drop-out.
Box is VERY VERY small. Like the size of a little DSL modem.
AC adapter can be taken out. (no built in cord).

Cons:

On screen guides are small letters. Hard to see when far away.

Vents are on the bottom of the box.

I give this box an 8/10, some stations are not operating at full power yet, so I'm patiently waiting to hopefully get more channels in.

9 channels, most I've ever got!
Congratulations for having those. Keep your lucky up. :D