Just say no to phillips (Walmart) coax

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
That's the brand Walmart sells and it's cheap. Cheap junk. Some months back I bought three 4 foot rg6 Phillips cables from Walmart and right away an F connector fell off one of the cables. Took it back and bought another and thought I'd live happily ever after.

Didn't happen.

About a week ago I decided to unhook my two combined (ganged) 4 bays and turn then toward Columbus, Ohio to see if they would pick up the channels there. Let me tell ya', getting those things separated in that tiny attic isn't easy. I was ready to toss cold water on them. :)

After a few hours of unhookig and re-hooking, the job was done and I had them facing eastward toward Columbus.

The antenna's wouldn't do poo!

In fact channel 53 out of Chillicothe (a bit south of Columbus) wouldn't even stay in consistently and I picked that one up with either a 2 or 4 bay before. Something was screwy.

Three days later and back up there I went to do it all over again and point them back toward Cincinnati. Once it was done everything was back again...and then I moved the four foot Phillips cables a bit and lost reception on two channels. I started moving the cables around and noticed the weaker channels such as VHF 9 & 12 and UHF 14 & 48 would go in and out. The F connectors were tight on the antennas, combiner, and amp so it has to be the cables.

As I mentioned at the beginning of this rather long post, one of the F fittings fell off of a Philips cable right off the bat so that's a good indication that that brand of coax should be avoided. The fact that just moving the cables even a little causes signal loss cements this believe at least IMO.

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
Ive been pretty satisfied with my 50 and 25 ft sections of Philips Quad Shield RG6. However, I dont know how good they are inside. The F Connectors look heavy duty, long, watertight and well seated.

But I get your meaning.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
I've never been as happy with a coaxial cable I've purchased as I have been with the ones that Comcast provides for me, or their techs create for me during a service visit. It's like they simply don't sell that quality of coax anywhere, not even Monoprice.

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Ive been pretty satisfied with my 50 and 25 ft sections of Philips Quad Shield RG6. However, I dont know how good they are inside. The F Connectors look heavy duty, long, watertight and well seated.

But I get your meaning.
I can't speak on the quality of the Phillips Quad Shield but I did purchase 25' of QS at a competitors store. It was a different brand, maybe RCA but looks like the Phillips QS. Wonder if a lot of Quad Shield and coax in general is made by the same company and sold under different names?

I've never been as happy with a coaxial cable I've purchased as I have been with the ones that Comcast provides for me, or their techs create for me during a service visit. It's like they simply don't sell that quality of coax anywhere, not even Monoprice.
It's probably similar to what Time Warner cable uses and that is some hardy coax there. The cable itself just seems thicker than most other rg6 cables. And those compression fittings they use nowadays are unbelievably strong. Once they're on, they're on to stay.