KENTUCKY VIEWERS: KET realigning subchannels

JakesDTVBlog

DTVUSAForum Member, , , Webmaster of: Jake's DTV B
KET (Kentucky Educational Television) is making some changes to its channel lineup beginning Thursday, Oct. 1.

Of particular interest to many viewers will be the move of HD programming from a nightly four-hour block (8PM ET-11PM ET) to what is now KET1. With that move, anything that KET can broadcast in HD will be available at any time of the day or night. KET1 programming will also continue, but the ##.1 channel (here in Owensboro it's 31.1) will now be known simply as KET.

KET2 is expected to continue as-is, and the only change to the Kentucky Channel (KET KY on ##.3) will be that its programming won't have to give way to HD four hours each night.

I'm still trying to figure out what the new "KET ED On Demand" on ##.4 will be. The network's website is not clear on this, but I'm guessing it'll remain strictly educational programming from ITV and other sources as it has been.

This is the second time KET has realigned subchannels; in January 2008, the network went from six of them to the four that are now available.

If I get any further info, I'll post it here and also at JDTVB.

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
Any word on -4? I remember hearing that 100% of schools can now get KET-ED programming online.

- Trip

JakesDTVBlog

Any word on -4? I remember hearing that 100% of schools can now get KET-ED programming online.

- Trip
Well, I know what I want to see on 4 ... but that doesn't mean I'll get it! One of my readers speculated earlier today that maybe KET will carry Create or PBS World on that subchannel, but I really have my doubts that the folks in Lexington will take the educational programs that they are known for nationwide (such as their pioneering GED series, which is now being revamped with an eye toward premiering in 2012) completely off the air.

You are correct in that all Kentucky schools now have access to KET's educational services online. I think that's why they are talking up this "on demand" stuff now, because a teacher can pick the program he or she wants without having to rearrange a class schedule around a TV schedule.

JakesDTVBlog

Wonder why they're shuffling around the subchannels so much?
I think they're doing it because there is so much HD programming from PBS (and of their own making) now. There is just no way they can fit it all into a four-hour block night after night.

The latest KET-produced program to go HD is Kentucky Life, which will open its 15th season this coming Saturday at 8PM ET/7PM CT.

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
I seriously doubt that World or Create will end up on -4. It would likely cause problems with WCET and WNIN and WSIU, to start with.

I, personally, would want to see -4 go away so as to improve the PQ on the soon-to-be 24/7 HD feed. But I'm not a viewer of KET, so I don't really have a right to say anything. :)

- Trip

JakesDTVBlog

OK, that's interesting. I'll have to update JDTVB to reflect that. Thanks for the heads-up!

For the record, I agree with getting rid of it to help with PQ on the HD channel, although I would like to see Create or World, since WNIN does not offer them unless you're on cable. I'm still not sure why or how they do that, unless Insight and WOW help defray the cost ... and I really doubt that's happening.

Last edited:

JakesDTVBlog

All right, here's the latest:

The actual change of the channels to their "new" names (as far as what your TV will show) has taken place.

KET1 is now KET.
KET2 did not change.
KETKYHD is now KET KY.
KET ED is no longer available, and in my case, channel 31.4 self-deleted this morning.

My understanding is that the actual programming schedule changes will be effective at midnight Eastern time tonight, but if that changes, I'll be sure to post again and let you know for sure.

By the way, here's the most detail I could get on the moves. Interesting that they wanted to do this in April but did not have the equipment with which to do so. Now that it's in place, it's happening.

I'd also like to know more about the on-demand stuff. i don't know how it's possible over the air, but they mention 'Podbox hard drives available' so maybe that's how it's possible. i'd like to know more myself. the slate still shows here on -4 on all boxes.

I still see a 'PBS Under Construction' screen on PBS WNIN 9.3 though and crappy radio from 88.3FM too. i would love to know what's going on there. i expected something to show up post-June 12th but it's still there.

WPSD has a test pattern on their last sub-channel. don't know what's going there, either.

JakesDTVBlog

I'd also like to know more about the on-demand stuff. i don't know how it's possible over the air, but they mention 'Podbox hard drives available' so maybe that's how it's possible. i'd like to know more myself. the slate still shows here on -4 on all boxes.

I still see a 'PBS Under Construction' screen on PBS WNIN 9.3 though and crappy radio from 88.3FM too. i would love to know what's going on there. i expected something to show up post-June 12th but it's still there.

WPSD has a test pattern on their last sub-channel. don't know what's going there, either.
The on-demand thing is going to be primarily for schools, and it'll be internet-based, not on TV. Have you tried a rescan? All of my stuff - the converter boxes and my HDTV - have all kissed .4 goodbye. I punch it in manually and get absolutely nothing.

Several viewers (myself included) have asked WNIN to put Create or PBS World (my preference is for Create) on 9.3, but with a HUGE funding cut at the state level this year, I don't see it happening anytime soon. Running 88.3 and a slate costs them very little if anything.

WPSD, last time I checked, only uses 6.4 for broadcasting a newscast from 10-11PM. At least that's what RabbitEars says.

6.4 WPSD has always been a rainbow of longitudinal color bars and a 'WPSD Local 6' bug at the bottom at my end. audio is a continuous bleep-censor note.

KET 31.4 still shows an 'on demand coming soon.' slate at least around 9AM CDT. classical muzak and a timer are superimposed on-screen at bottom.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Thomas G blog 0