Kerry Aide: No Consensus, No Incentive Auctions

Chips

DTVUSA Member
From This article. Kerry Aide: No Consensus, No Incentive Auctions - 2010-10-21 20:27:51 | Broadcasting & Cable
"The message from an aide to Communications Subcommittee Chairman John Kerry (D-Mass.) Thursday could not have been clearer: Unless the FCC, computer and wireless companies, and broadcasters can come to a meeting on the minds about freeing up mobile broadband, legislation giving the FCC the power to hold incentive auctions isn't going to happen."

If you read the article, broadcaster don't appear to be onboard with the move to VHF, and congress doesn't appear to be onboard to pass the bill needed to auction the spectrum.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
On a different broadcast and cable article,

"The FCC could auction the spectrum without congressional approval, and can lay that technical groundwork for recovery incentive auctions or not, but if it is to give a percentage of the proceeds to broadcasters as incentive to give up spectrum--and broadcasters will almost surely not volunteer to give up spectrum for nothing--Congress has to approve that outlay from the treasury."

FCC Tees Up Initial Broadcast Spectrum Reclamation Moves**** - 2010-10-20 23:30:00 | Broadcasting & Cable

Where is this going?!?! Is it just going to stalemate?

bicker

DTVUSA Member
You say that as if what you're calling "stalemate" isn't necessarily a valid conclusion to this specific proposal. There have been loads of over-the-top emotional chest-beating going on over the re-purposing of OTA spectrum (some of it on online discussion forums), and the fact that both of you see that the overall trend appears toward no significant change in this case just shows how irrational those fears were.

That's not to say that there aren't going to be good ideas that will re-purpose some portion of the OTA spectrum, eventually. However, what the two of you are highlighting is that there is no reason to worry about the fatalistic doom-and-gloom scenarios that OTA fanatics have been weaving tales about.

Last edited:

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
You say that as if what you're calling "stalemate" isn't necessarily a valid conclusion to this specific proposal. There have been loads of over-the-top emotional chest-beating going on over the re-purposing of OTA spectrum (some of it on online discussion forums), and the fact that both of you see that the overall trend appears toward no significant change in this case just shows how irrational those fears were.

That's not to say that there aren't going to be good ideas that will re-purpose some portion of the OTA spectrum, eventually. However, what the two of you are highlighting is that there is no reason to worry about the fatalistic doom-and-gloom scenarios that OTA fanatics have been weaving tales about.
That's what it kind of looks like to me anyway. Seems like a lot of things have to fall into place for the FCC to re-allocate or re-purpose the spectrum.

Chips

DTVUSA Member

n2rj

Staff member
VHF sucks plain and simple. Broadcasters will simply say "over my dead body" until the FCC pulls the spectrum away by force.

And then, it will get bloody. The Government doesn't want to make enemies with the media. Not before 2012 anyway.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
It is more like a football game that has gone into overtime and OTA is the underdog team. Here is another article that gives some more details as to what is on the FCC November 31 agenda and it doesn't look good for OTA, but time will tell who comes off the winner. Here is the article.
TVB | Broadcast TV Spectrum Auctions Actions Coming in November
This article tells us what Genachowski has been saying, that at the November meeting they would lay out the ground work so that they can act IF Congress approves an incentive auction.

The whole FCC plan assumes that the market for smart phones and wireless internet is going to go up at current rates, but I see smart phones as a fetishized market with no real economic value. How do we know that the market for these spectrum hogs isn't approaching saturation? What percentage of the electronics and other products needed to build this infastructure is going to be made in the United States? (very little) So, if we don't make the stuff, how are we going to pay for it?

dkreichen1968

Staff member
They'll try to sneak things through AFTER the elections... as they always do.
Based on what the Kerry aide said he doesn't see that happening. I don't think there is enough support in Congress to do it at this time. Heck, my Congressman hasn't even figured out that it is an issue. The two letters I got back from him were about the "fairness doctrine" and some other unrelated issue. Makes me want to consider running against him in two years.

n2rj

Staff member
My congressman's staff called me to say that they care about OTA TV since I had written to him about the spectrum grab.

I asked what specifically. They didn't really seem to know.

I'll still vote for him because he's better than the other choice (tax and spend Democrat).

dkreichen1968

Staff member
My congressman's staff called me to say that they care about OTA TV since I had written to him about the spectrum grab.

I asked what specifically. They didn't really seem to know.

I'll still vote for him because he's better than the other choice (tax and spend Democrat).
At least you got a positive response that addressed the issue you had writen about.