Kids under 13 watching PG13 shows/movies

antkmom

DTVUSA Member
Are you one of those parents who won't allow your child to watch PG13 shows or movies until they actually hit 13?

I am not like that. I use my own judgement on shows and decide what I think is best for my daughter to watch.

My sister in law was upset with the school because they played a PG13 movie for kids that were 12 and 13. I think that this is going overboard a bit. What do you think?

d3stiny

DTVUSA Jr. Member
even though parents are being strict with it, we can't hide the fact that we can't monitor the activities of our children especially when they are in school or with friends. Curiosity is the issue here. i could say that i learn things about sexuality outside our house. i mean it should be introduced first with the parents am i right?

G

Legal Question PG 13

I am a teacher and I played a PG 13 Christian movie for children ages 5-13. I admit that I made a bad judgement call, but this company that I have worked for for 8 years, allowed some parents to rally against me and get me fired. The next week I was 'let go' for a month; in order for me to return I have to take college classes, grief counseling due to my mother's death and also have to take a demotion from Head Teacher to assistant. I did not receive a verbal warning. my question is if you or anyone else knows if this is illegal to do. I am having a hard time getting this definite information.
Thank you
Charrise

I am a teacher and I played a PG 13 Christian movie for children ages 5-13. I admit that I made a bad judgement call, but this company that I have worked for for 8 years, allowed some parents to rally against me and get me fired. The next week I was 'let go' for a month; in order for me to return I have to take college classes, grief counseling due to my mother's death and also have to take a demotion from Head Teacher to assistant. I did not receive a verbal warning. my question is if you or anyone else knows if this is illegal to do. I am having a hard time getting this definite information.
Thank you
Charrise
What PG-13 Christian movie did they see? I am a Pastor and just curious to know what Christian movie was so harmful. The Passion was rated R. It depends what was the content of the movie.

My concern is more with the actual criteria for the rating. I have watched several PG-13 movies and thought this is definitely R, with the nudity shown, language, violence etc.....I take each movie one at a time with my kids, some Action Hero movies are PG-13 but really I can't see why accept for some action violence. It's a BROAD rating slot. We always check with sites like plugged in or Kids in mind AND we watch the movie without them first. I cannot stop them from what they see outside our home but it is my biggest responsibility as a parent to guard what comes into my home. Not as a tyrant but as a Father who is raising young men to treat young women with the dignity they deserve. Seeing naked girls on screen and degrading talk defeats that purpose.

I definitely think that you don't necessarily have to be 13 to see a PG-13 movie. It depends child to child. But overall, it's better to be on the safe side and not allow anyone under 13 to see a PG-13 movie.

FWAmie

DTVUSA Member
I personally make that judgement. Considering that I am the parent and I know my kids. Not only that. I try not to be strict on what they watch because if your too strict your kids will rebel against you so fast and hard that you are not going to know what hit you.

MMkaho

DTVUSA Member
to me if the kids understand whats going on in the movie/tv show they should be able to watch it but not like let a 6 yr old watch a PG-13 show or film that's just ridiculous, Now if by any chance the movie does involve some SEX scenes... thats up to the parents on what scenes they see

Funafuti

DTVUSA Member
I have a soon-to-be 11-year-old, and if he wanted to see a PG-13 movie I'd have to find out WHY it was rated PG-13. The rating doesn't make the final decision for me, but it makes me say no until I have further information. The rating system is far from perfect, but at this point I can trust that it is OK for him to see anything rated PG, I think. With PG-13, it's more of a case-by-case basis.

FWAmie

DTVUSA Member
That's one of my bigger fears with having children in the future. How do you find the right level of strictness as far as your kids are concerned?
For myself its more of a child by child thing. For example, my daughter is 5, I know her personality and I have simi picked her brain so to speak. So with that in mind. I also think about what my mom did with me strict wise(Honestly very very little, considering I hardly ever really did anything to warn it) But I also keep in mind what her father was like growing up too. So lets say that she wants to play outside without an adult. I would think about what my mother did with me. How she actually is by herself. Also what her father did when he was left alone as a child. The only reason I think of what her father did as a child, is only because I see him in her, personality wise.

Now as for my son, he is only 2. But I have actually yet to figure him out. So I am going to just keep observing and picking his brain. But my son is totally opposite of my daughter! I see more of myself in my son, than I see myself in my daughter.

As far as my step-kids. That is very much harder to do. Considering that they (For now) live with there mother. But there mother and father are total opposites! So what she allows them to do and what my husband allows them to do, seem to be played against me a few times. But they have figured out that if they say that are allowed to do it. I will go straight to my husband before I even agree or disagree to it. But its weird. Instead of just asking their dad they are coming to me. But at the same time, they have actually asked me before their mother. Which I have to admit is very very Uncomfortable.

MMkaho

DTVUSA Member
For myself its more of a child by child thing. For example, my daughter is 5, I know her personality and I have simi picked her brain so to speak. So with that in mind. I also think about what my mom did with me strict wise(Honestly very very little, considering I hardly ever really did anything to warn it) But I also keep in mind what her father was like growing up too. So lets say that she wants to play outside without an adult. I would think about what my mother did with me. How she actually is by herself. Also what her father did when he was left alone as a child. The only reason I think of what her father did as a child, is only because I see him in her, personality wise.

Now as for my son, he is only 2. But I have actually yet to figure him out. So I am going to just keep observing and picking his brain. But my son is totally opposite of my daughter! I see more of myself in my son, than I see myself in my daughter.

As far as my step-kids. That is very much harder to do. Considering that they (For now) live with there mother. But there mother and father are total opposites! So what she allows them to do and what my husband allows them to do, seem to be played against me a few times. But they have figured out that if they say that are allowed to do it. I will go straight to my husband before I even agree or disagree to it. But its weird. Instead of just asking their dad they are coming to me. But at the same time, they have actually asked me before their mother. Which I have to admit is very very Uncomfortable.
Sounds good my childhood i pretty much watched anything i wanted but i was however not allowed to do anything outside the house that i wanted but inside was a different story me and my sister were pretty much caged up from the outside world, but on the inside we ruled

FWAmie

DTVUSA Member
Sounds good my childhood i pretty much watched anything i wanted but i was however not allowed to do anything outside the house that i wanted but inside was a different story me and my sister were pretty much caged up from the outside world, but on the inside we ruled
My mother has told me, even after 25 years. She still cannot understand how only 1 out of all of her 5 children. Was basically so easy that it was like having a cat. I asked what she meant by that. All she said was that myself out of all 5 kids was so easy to deal with. So when she had the other 4 she had the hardest time with dealing with them. Considering the three girls that she has, are all, as everyone I know calls them "He** on wheels" She constantly had to watch everything they did and still do(They are now 21, 14, and 15 years old). But with me, she didn't have to really do anything. My brother, well she didn't have to do anything because he is mentally/physically handy capped and didn't live with us. But I have also watched my brother, and I have told my mother this too.. If my brother were"Normal" he would really be her biggest problem out of the rest of them. If you just watch him or the way he smiles about certain things, he is basically my dad all made over, just maybe ten times worse! LOL

MMkaho

DTVUSA Member
some family s have that black sheep weather or not they are a good or bad one but at least you grew up in a house with more then one sibling i would have loved that, maybe i wouldn't be such a loner nowadays and a little screwed up

FWAmie

DTVUSA Member
some family s have that black sheep weather or not they are a good or bad one but at least you grew up in a house with more then one sibling i would have loved that, maybe i wouldn't be such a loner nowadays and a little screwed up
Ironically, I did grow up with siblings. But I am very much a loner. While my siblings, even my kids are very very out going and will basically talk to anyone and everyone. I on the other hand have actually been told I am "snob", but not in that exact word, if you understand my meaning... Mostly by my siblings friends and what not. Because they would actually try and talk to me and i would basically blow them off. But it wasn't because I was being snobby, it was more of I don't actually talk to people face to face and a lot of people had no clue that I actually couldn't hear for crap. But my two youngest siblings who are 15 and 14 now. Have actually went off on a few people just because they happen to say that I was "snobby" and needless to say, by the time my sisters are done blowing up the person is practically in tears.

MMkaho

DTVUSA Member
Ironically, I did grow up with siblings. But I am very much a loner. While my siblings, even my kids are very very out going and will basically talk to anyone and everyone. I on the other hand have actually been told I am "snob", but not in that exact word, if you understand my meaning... Mostly by my siblings friends and what not. Because they would actually try and talk to me and i would basically blow them off. But it wasn't because I was being snobby, it was more of I don't actually talk to people face to face and a lot of people had no clue that I actually couldn't hear for crap. But my two youngest siblings who are 15 and 14 now. Have actually went off on a few people just because they happen to say that I was "snobby" and needless to say, by the time my sisters are done blowing up the person is practically in tears.
I cant say i was ever called snobby back in the middle school days i only had like 2 friends but they eventually left cause they moved so i was back on my own, i knew i didnt belong in a city school and atleast around here we all were pretty much the same just some kids had the cool trapper keepers up to date shit but they were as bad as me and acted like somebody they werent I acted LIKE ME and thats the way i stayed. and thats kinda good that you had such good siblings, I do hope my daughter dosent live the same life i did just to fit in, but not be alone for the whole time a few friends are ok just i dont want her to pretend to be something she aint, she will have a sibling sometime in the future just not right now until we get stuff settled.

FWAmie

DTVUSA Member
I cant say i was ever called snobby back in the middle school days i only had like 2 friends but they eventually left cause they moved so i was back on my own, i knew i didnt belong in a city school and atleast around here we all were pretty much the same just some kids had the cool trapper keepers up to date shit but they were as bad as me and acted like somebody they werent I acted LIKE ME and thats the way i stayed. and thats kinda good that you had such good siblings, I do hope my daughter dosent live the same life i did just to fit in, but not be alone for the whole time a few friends are ok just i dont want her to pretend to be something she aint, she will have a sibling sometime in the future just not right now until we get stuff settled.
Ya, I would rather have just 1 or 2 friends than have a bunch of people who "pretend" to be your friend. As far as my kids following in my foot steps. Most likely will not happen. Because my son and daughter are both very out going. My step-kids are very out going as well. The only thing I truly worry about with my daughter is that she might be the type to try and follow everyone else just to fit in and only end up bitter and what not in the end.... Not exactly something I want to see. But she has asked me questions that I have never thought she would ask. Like the other day she looked at me and asked "Why don't you talk to people like I do?" The only question she has ever asked me that made me want to hit someone was "Are girls supposed to just stay home and clean all the time?" The only reason that she even asked that is because normally during the week I am the only one really cleaning the house. But that is only because my husband is working basically from sun up to sun down. So when he comes home I just want him to sit and relax. But on weekends my husband actually takes over the cleaning. But if I actually sit and think about it, I am the one that gave her that impression. All I actually told her was "No that is not all we do. But I clean because having a clean house makes me happy and when daddy comes home I don't want him to have to really do anything because he works so much that he gets really tired."

MMkaho

DTVUSA Member
Yea my fiance is the same way she rather stay at home though i make the bread I do however have a few friends who believe in the woman must stay home and obey every mans rule but that's how their family has been for years but they do have respect for almost anybody who comes in their life until they screw them over, I'm just getting out of a small shell of being to myself i need to socialize because if i don't I cant make any money and most of my clients are some of the best people i have ever met, This would be my first kid and im not trying to be a Hippocrates but we both have different views so we gotta come together and decide whats right until shes old enough to decide on how she wants to act I'm not gonna put her down either way cause thats not the freedom i had when i was growing up i just hope she makes a good choice and dosent end up like me in the "gutter" for her late teen years and getting involved with bad crowds

FWAmie

DTVUSA Member
Yea my fiance is the same way she rather stay at home though i make the bread I do however have a few friends who believe in the woman must stay home and obey every mans rule but that's how their family has been for years but they do have respect for almost anybody who comes in their life until they screw them over, I'm just getting out of a small shell of being to myself i need to socialize because if i don't I cant make any money and most of my clients are some of the best people i have ever met, This would be my first kid and im not trying to be a Hippocrates but we both have different views so we gotta come together and decide whats right until shes old enough to decide on how she wants to act I'm not gonna put her down either way cause thats not the freedom i had when i was growing up i just hope she makes a good choice and dosent end up like me in the "gutter" for her late teen years and getting involved with bad crowds
Ya, my husband doesn't think that way and never has. But my first husband did... Needless to say, it was a year and 1/2 after our divorce in counseling at least 3 times a week. That made me realize that not every guy thought the woman should be at home and obey all the rules. But as far as the raising kids thing. I have now realized why my mother said she never would be with a man that already had kids. I personally enjoy it. But at the same time it is very hard. Because I know my kids and what not. But his kids are raised different than mine. So we comprise on a lot of things. Cause my kids are only 5 and 2. His are 11 and 9. Plus we have one on the way. So we are figuring out real fast on what we both agree on and what we don't.

Lestrade

DTVUSA Member
Of course, this is an issue that requires a lot of debate. In my opinion, children should be allowed to watch anything that they can understand and feel fine with. At home, me and my wife both make the call whether or not something is suitable for the kids. Still, there has never been a time when our kids felt offended or uncomfortable with what they watched.