Question: KMTW Channel 36 Reception in Central Kansas

hello DTVUSA. This one station has been giving me fits, KMTW Channel 35 UHF. During the afternoon I can't seem to pick it up but as soon as dusk/nighttime sets in it springs to life, usually at around 55-70% signal strength. My question is, am I just out of bounds for this channel and at the mercy of Tropo Ducting? Or is their a way to "Reach up and Grab this channel" so to speak. Is it possible to grab this signal with the proper equipment upgrades? My current setup is a GE attic Antenna, with a 25 ft cable run with two 25db boosters on each side of the cable run. The antenna is mounted in the steeple of my attic at approx. 30ft above ground level. My current Antenna
and a screenshot from TV fool for a KMTW coverage Map, I'm in Great Bend right on the edge! TV Fool report for my location using 30ft height as basis

Attachments

Hey thanks Steve! I have a 50ft tower my parents put up but no longer use. I think in gonna see if I can overcome a 2 edge signal at that height with a better gain outdoor antenna, if not, well at least I tried ;$

The reception of KMTW you reported is typical tropo behavior caused by temperature inversions that form around sunset and last into the next morning. They cause the signal to bend down towards the Earth and extend reception. For this to happen on a regular basis the signal would need to be just beyond what can normally be received. You might be able to receive it in the daytime with a proper antenna correctly placed, and aimed.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
RWABS,

At a range of 80 miles your 50' tower will help, especially if you use an appropriate antenna. I am in a similar 2-edge reception situation for my 'local' Channel 35 which is just over 75 miles from me. I tested over a dozen different commercially available UHF antennas and had no luck at all. I talked to the Chief Engineer at the station and he told me I'd never receive their signal here ... so, I proved him wrong.

I built my own 15 element Yagi antenna designed specifically for (only) Channel 35. You can see it in my Forum photo albums here: https://www.dtvusaforum.com/album.php?albumid=59 My "Project-35" was the first antenna I built since my Ham Radio days in the 1970s and it was a complete success! I suspect it is exactly what you need.

I've designed and built other successful single-channel TV antennas and I'd be happy to suggest some simple construction techniques I developed and the overall cost to build should be under $25.

Jim

* EDIT: Project-35 provides signals through about 120 feet of RG-6 coax which is split 4 ways around my home, using NO amplifiers.

Attachments

Last edited:
At 80 miles and 2edge I think you are lucky to get a signal at all.
yes I thought so too, i wasnt initially expecting to pick it up and when i first did a few times, using only rabbit ears with a 23db preamp, I merely wrote it off as tropo-ducting never expecting to pick it up on a regular basis. It wasn't until i actually pointed a better directional antenna in that direction that I found i could pick it up on a regular basis from around 7-10 the next morning reliably. And the signal was much better in the attic.

RWABS,

At a range of 80 miles your 50' tower will help, especially if you use an appropriate antenna. I am in a similar 2-edge reception situation for my 'local' Channel 35 which is just over 75 miles from me. I tested over a dozen different commercially available UHF antennas and had no luck at all. I talked to the Chief Engineer at the station and he told me I'd never receive their signal here ... so, I proved him wrong.
That's awesome! What a coincidence that we both have problems with channel 35! KMTW is a MY TV affiliate out of Wichita and it's the only major station around me with no repeaters. Mytv doesn't seem to do the repeater thing nearly as much.

I built my own 15 element Yagi antenna designed specifically for (only) Channel 35. You can see it in my Forum photo albums here: https://www.dtvusaforum.com/album.php?albumid=59 My "Project-35" was the first antenna I built since my Ham Radio days in the 1970s and it was a complete success! I suspect it is exactly what you need.

I've designed and built other successful single-channel TV antennas and I'd be happy to suggest some simple construction techniques I developed and the overall cost to build should be under $25.

Jim

* EDIT: Project-35 provides signals through about 120 feet of RG-6 coax which is split 4 ways around my home, using NO amplifiers.
Building a single channel yagi sounds like a great course of action. Yes. i would appreciate any tips or construction techniques you can offer regarding your project 35. Needless to say if you were able to get reception with no preamps and 120 feet of rg-6, that's pretty impressive performance.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
RWABS,

There are two newer Yagi builds in my albums here, Projects 38 and 48. I used plastic 'picture anchors' for drywall, to insulate all of the elements from the boom: the driven element (dipole) also needs to be insulated.

The lengths and locations of the elements are critical, but this online Yagi designer does most of the math for you: http://www.k7mem.com/Electronic_Notebook/antennas/yagi_vhf.html
I suggest you design it for 599 MHz and plug in (your choice) the diameter of the boom and elements, and select insulated elements. There are links on that page to other pages that will help you design the dipole (driven element). This will keep you busy for a little while!

Jim