LA NFL team anytime soon?

I definitely think so. When you look at what the market(s) can support, a team in LA would have instant backing, likely sell out games easily, and you can't beat the weather! I just look at the number of late / post season games that the Bengals had to beg folks to avoid blackouts, and have to think the NFL is going to pull the trigger on LA / London, or both soon. The 6-8 hour drive to Oakland is just too far for the old LA Raiders fanbase to travel, and there's a mystical divide between Orange and San Diego Counties keeping those fans for rooting for the Chargers :)

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Let my guess .. The Los Angles Raiders, named to recover a name of a Team most of the Country loved to hate.

The problem is a second team would need to be established so there isn't an odd number of teams.

I propose these "politically correctly' named new teams:

The Maine Lobsters ...

The Idaho Tatoes ...

The Oregon Ospreys ...

The Wyoming Wannabees ...

The New Mexico Turks (as in Turquoise) ...

It may happen but in the mean time, GO SEAHAWKS!

Jim

I think I remember reading article a little while back where the Commish was playing coy on if we would see an overseas-based team (London..) before or after a return to L.A. by the league. I'm wondering if that is the grand plan?

The games should be fun to watch this weekend though. I'm wondering if we'll see the Niners or Seahawks score more than a combined 20ish points though!

On the new team names...I'm wondering if we'll get to the point where you can't have a mascot due to potentially offending someone? That, or they can only be named after "things"....
Like the L.A. Ocean...Utah Dirt, etc!!

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
I think I remember reading article a little while back where the Commish was playing coy on if we would see an overseas-based team (London..) before or after a return to L.A. by the league. I'm wondering if that is the grand plan?

The games should be fun to watch this weekend though. I'm wondering if we'll see the Niners or Seahawks score more than a combined 20ish points though!

On the new team names...I'm wondering if we'll get to the point where you can't have a mascot due to potentially offending someone? That, or they can only be named after "things"....
Like the L.A. Ocean...Utah Dirt, etc!!
You echoed my point, ala the Maine Lobsters.

I would love to see a Los Angeles football team. I do think though that you may see a team in London before that happens. That seems to be pet project of the NFL.
Yeah, I'm wondering like @FringeReception pointed out if we'll see a "two fer" if the NFL adds any teams. Of course, that will bring up the argument about the league already being a bit watered down with the number of teams we have now.
If teams were to move, which ones do you all think would top the list for looking for a new home?