Question: Landed a free Rohn type tower...now to mount it

energyzer

DTVUSA Member
I was able to get a tower from a business that wasn't using it anymore, and now am looking to get it put up. I've looked at a few pictures of how to mount it, but would love some feedback. What is the best way? I was originally thinking about bolting it to concrete with anchors. It appears that some are poring a concrete slap and cementing it in. This tower is probably20-30 feet tall. I have no particular base, only the three legs. tips?

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Energyzer,

Congratulations!

I think you should check your local Building Code to see if you are allowed to have a tower at your location. I am certain there are different rules for Commercial applications VS Ham Radio/CB Radio/TV reception. The Code will tell you what is required as a base and if it is attached to the side of a structure rather than 'free-standing' the base will likely be allowed to be smaller. I'm sure the Code will require grounding and it may be required to be seperate from your home electrical ground. At 30 feet, I doubt you will be required to have an aircraft warning lamp on top, but it would be cool to have one!

Forum members N2RJ or Tower Guy may be the best persons to ask here for other tips.

Jim

energyzer

DTVUSA Member
Thanks Jim,
There are several houses in my town that have these towers, so for sure it's legal. The concrete slab that I was thinking of bolting it to is right next to my garage, so I cold fasten it over to the garage eve as well if needed. I'm hoping I can just bolt it to the concrete instead of digging a hole and poring new concrete, but I also want to do what the best thing is as well.

nbound-au

The Graveyard Shift
You'll likely have to sink some mounts into the ground a decent amount and then attach to those. Just a note, if its tubular steel, they can rust from the inside out, and can be a bad idea to climb depending on age, and other factors (such as has it been located near the sea at any point). Angular steel towers are better in that regard.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
You'll likely have to sink some mounts into the ground a decent amount and then attach to those. Just a note, if its tubular steel, they can rust from the inside out, and can be a bad idea to climb depending on age, and other factors (such as has it been located near the sea at any point). Angular steel towers are better in that regard.
Since he lives in Nebraska I really doubt it has been near the sea. About as far from the sea as you can get. ;)

G

Tower base requirements

This site has a pdf for the concrete requirements. It is tipped sideways but readable.

BX-Foundation-Concrete Base Stubs

In the Dakota's for a 40 ft we use a 4 ft cube of concrete in virgin ground and dig a elephants toe at the bottom to prevent tipping.
A 64 footer is 5 - 5.5 ft x 4ft deep. We use either Pig fencing or rebar as well.

I like to weld re-bar to the tower leg stubs to sink into the clay as it helps keep the tower in place when pouring the concrete.

4ft is required to get below the frost line to keep frost from heaving it.