Last thing you'd expect to see on a jog...

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Went on a neighborhood jog this evening and found THIS at a middle school park:

:bolt:

Not sure if it as a pet, but I did call animal control to report. :)

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Ewwwww -- better you than me. I'm so not interested. I do vividly recall the two snakes that were pets back in my 4th grade class at school. That was about as close as I wanted to get to them, and nothing has changed since!

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
It tastes like chicken if you cook it right:pop2:
haha, unfortunately I already know that. ;)

Ewwwww -- better you than me. I'm so not interested. I do vividly recall the two snakes that were pets back in my 4th grade class at school. That was about as close as I wanted to get to them, and nothing has changed since!
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of snakes. I've maybe seen 3-4 in my life here in AZ and I spend a lot of time running in the mountains. Seeing this one today in our neighborhood was definiely a shocker.

Was it a rattler? if so i'd be more concerned with it presenting a public hazard.

As for eating them, uh ick?! i hear a bunch of that from people here in KY and worse, eating garbage rooters like racoons and possums. i mean they smell bad enough when alive, i'd never imagine the smell of them in an oven. ick! i mean they tell you in FFA classes that an animal tastes different depending on what it eats, that's why you hear stuff like 'grain fed beef' in stores. i think if it ate garbage it'd taste as such. i mean they carry diseases too. i never knew what with movies like Babe but after finding out close-hand what a pig eats is enough to shut out pork from my life. did you know they don't hesitate to eat people? if you don't believe me stick your arm in a pig pen and see what comes back!

But what do i know? i eat my meat cooked. these nutshells out here eat meat raw and bleeding.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Was it a rattler? if so i'd be more concerned with it presenting a public hazard.

As for eating them, uh ick?! i hear a bunch of that from people here in KY and worse, eating garbage rooters like racoons and possums. i mean they smell bad enough when alive, i'd never imagine the smell of them in an oven. ick! i mean they tell you in FFA classes that an animal tastes different depending on what it eats, that's why you hear stuff like 'grain fed beef' in stores. i think if it ate garbage it'd taste as such. i mean they carry diseases too. i never knew what with movies like Babe but after finding out close-hand what a pig eats is enough to shut out pork from my life. did you know they don't hesitate to eat people? if you don't believe me stick your arm in a pig pen and see what comes back!

But what do i know? i eat my meat cooked. these nutshells out here eat meat raw and bleeding.
Not a rattler. Couldn't figure out what it was, I walked within 1-2 feet of it and it didn't try to strike. It may have been a pet snake? Thing was big though, probably 4-5 feet in length.

As I waited for animal control, one of maintenance crew at the school pulled up, so I took off and finished my jog. Hopfully he waited. :becky:

jerseygirl

DTVUSA Member
I would have been running for miles if I had seen that snake:bolt:

But for the meat of a snake. If somebody would not tell yout that you get snake for meal, you would not even recognize it when it is served. Because the meat of it is looking and feeling like chicken.

So, maybe you have already :becky:

I don't eat chicken, either. i drove past a Tyson farm house and the smell ruined any taste for chicken i had left. and i didn't have much of a taste for white meats anyways...

Red meat FTW

I have a very sensitive sense of taste. i can tell the diff. the smell of it cooking is even more distinguishable. my sense of smell is top notch of all my senses.

acwriter

DTVUSA Member
I heard snake meat is chewy. But, I am not curious enough to find out for myself. Great pic, Jay. At first glance, it looked like two different snakes. Amazing design.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I hope it didn't jump the train heading up here. I love birds, but wouldn't want to run into it while jogging through the neighborhood:)

Bird alert! Dangerous Cassowary on the loose in Utah County

The Salt Lake Tribune
Updated: 05/22/2009 01:17:38 PM MDT

It's large. It was last seen wearing feathers. And, it has a beak -- and allegedly is not afraid to use it.

Utah County authorities are on the lookout for a rare Cassowary bird -- an Australian species with a reputation for attacking, and sometimes even killing, people.

The bird, about the size of an emu, may have been injured when it fled an exotic animal farm after a semi-truck crashed near the University Parkway exit of Interstate 15 late Thursday. The rig broke the enclosure's fence and hit the bird
around 4:30 p.m., said Cameron Roden, a spokesman for the Utah Highway Patrol.

Authorities responding to the accident scene initially thought the bird died. But several minutes later, they noticed the Cassowary had disappeared, Roden said. Police then followed a trail of blood left by the bird to nearby rail lines, where they lost track.

"We can't confirm whether it wandered off and died and wandered off or is still alive," Roden said.

Roden said the bird is "aggressive" and cautioned people to contact police if they spot it.

The bird is valued between $100,000 to $200,000.

Roden said it's unclear what caused the semi-driver to leave the road. No people were injured in the incident.
Bird alert! Dangerous Cassowary on the loose in Utah County - Salt Lake Tribune

YouTube - Cassowary attacks

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
I heard snake meat is chewy. But, I am not curious enough to find out for myself. Great pic, Jay. At first glance, it looked like two different snakes. Amazing design.
In person, it blended well with the grass. I almost missed it jogging along the grass had it not flinched. :)

I hope it didn't jump the train heading up here. I love birds, but wouldn't want to run into it while jogging through the neighborhood:)

Bird alert! Dangerous Cassowary on the loose in Utah County

The Salt Lake Tribune
Updated: 05/22/2009 01:17:38 PM MDT

It's large. It was last seen wearing feathers. And, it has a beak -- and allegedly is not afraid to use it.

Utah County authorities are on the lookout for a rare Cassowary bird -- an Australian species with a reputation for attacking, and sometimes even killing, people.

The bird, about the size of an emu, may have been injured when it fled an exotic animal farm after a semi-truck crashed near the University Parkway exit of Interstate 15 late Thursday. The rig broke the enclosure's fence and hit the bird
around 4:30 p.m., said Cameron Roden, a spokesman for the Utah Highway Patrol.

Authorities responding to the accident scene initially thought the bird died. But several minutes later, they noticed the Cassowary had disappeared, Roden said. Police then followed a trail of blood left by the bird to nearby rail lines, where they lost track.

"We can't confirm whether it wandered off and died and wandered off or is still alive," Roden said.

Roden said the bird is "aggressive" and cautioned people to contact police if they spot it.

The bird is valued between $100,000 to $200,000.

Roden said it's unclear what caused the semi-driver to leave the road. No people were injured in the incident.
Bird alert! Dangerous Cassowary on the loose in Utah County - Salt Lake Tribune

YouTube - Cassowary attacks
Call Ace Ventura pet detective! ;) That's a huge bird?!?! The size of an Emu???

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Not a rattler. Couldn't figure out what it was, I walked within 1-2 feet of it and it didn't try to strike. It may have been a pet snake? Thing was big though, probably 4-5 feet in length.
Look what's become of pet snakes in Florida. Is it safe to jog near the Everglades?

These pets were released by owners that do not understand the threat to the ecosystem," Everglades National Park spokeswoman Linda Friar said. She said the pets, which can grow to 200 pounds and live for 30 years, often get too big for owners to handle.
Twenty years ago, no Burmese pythons were found in the Everglades, park statistics say. Now, there could be 100,000 snakes in the River of Grass, but no one knows for sure.
He says it is not the snakes' fault that they ended up in the Everglades, but he acknowledges the problems they are causing on the Florida ecosystem and the need to do something.
Predatory snakes become prey in Florida Everglades - CNN.com

Piggie

Super Moderator
Look what's become of pet snakes in Florida. Is it safe to jog near the Everglades?
No, nor was it before safe to jog through the everglades. Lived here forever and there are places, like swamps, unless equiped with the right equipment and alert and willing to take chances just are not safe.

The fact they built all these homes too close to the everglades combined with other people that buy a pet then just let it go because it's to much trouble is disgusting.

First if they live near a swamp, guess what? More than pythons around.

It has become a huge problem. The number of non-native invasive species in our state is becoming a huge problem.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
No, nor was it before safe to jog through the everglades. Lived here forever and there are places, like swamps, unless equiped with the right equipment and alert and willing to take chances just are not safe.

The fact they built all these homes too close to the everglades combined with other people that buy a pet then just let it go because it's to much trouble is disgusting.

First if they live near a swamp, guess what? More than pythons around.

It has become a huge problem. The number of non-native invasive species in our state is becoming a huge problem.
I love animals. My 10 yo daughter wants to become a Veterinarian. Around our house we have bears, mountain lions, coyotes, wolves, rattle snakes, raccoons, skunks, deer, elk, moose eagles, turkey vultures and a lot more. None of these were released from captivity of course. Well except the wolves. All of these can come through the yard at any time. We'd love to hang out by the swamp and explore the gators and other cool wildlife.

Piggie

Super Moderator
There are a lot of safe places set aside all over Florida to look at the swamp. Even up here in North Central FL, we have several. I have sat at all of them for hours just watching.

One of the greatest things they made illegal was the sides of US441 where it crosses Payne's Prairie just south of Gainesville, FL.

They had to put a 12 ft wall from the road level down to the swamp to keep the gators from crossing the road. They put places under the road for them to cross.

An unexpected result were many of us found we could pull off the side of the road and walk up to the wall (all of the wall is then below you and you can stand on the top of it.) There were several known places in the 2 miles or so where you could look down and see dozens of 12 to 15 ft gators. Huge!!!!!!!!!!!! And dozens of them. In all my life here I have never seen old huge gators so thick. Why the congregated there I am not sure.

Anyway because people had wrecks pulling off and a few idiots actually stood on the wall and fell in, they made it illegal to pull off the road. They have one place you can pull off but you might have to wait an hour to see a big gator.

I am just glad someone told me about when it was till legal. Wish I had taken a picture.

But there are rivers around here like the Sante Fe that flows into the Swanee where the wild life is thick. During matting season you can see these places in the river (it's very slow mover) where the water looks like it is boiling. Don't go close!! It's Water Moccasins breeding in a frenzy. There will be a few dozen all seeking the females. They are very easy to spot during mating season. You will often see many per mile going down the river. And the number of turtle species on that river is staggering.

You go down that river in a boat or if you are good a canoe. But no rafting unless you want to end up in a water moccasin frenzy.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Quite a few years ago, when I was a kid, I had two alligators from Florida. A friend of my mom's was driving truck through Florida found two gators by the side of the road. He threw them in his truck and brought them to Utah. We gave them to the Hogle Zoo in Salt Lake when they reached four feet long. The last time I saw them, they were ten feet long. They would have eaten me out of house and home. Probably would have eaten me period:huh: