Lava hd2805 digital tv antenna

U

Unregistered

Thinking about purchasing one for our camper. Under their FAQ it states that this antenna works with both analog and the new digital conversion. My question is: Does that mean that I will not need the converter to use this antenna with an older tube TV or will I still need the signal converter box? TIA

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Guest,

Its junk and a complete waste of money. It is fragile and has dreadfully under-designed plastic-parts including its 'built-in-rotor' -- which was a great idea.

Secondly, all LAVA antennas are designed for Chinese television channels that are (mostly) much higher in RF Frequency than those frequencies (channels) that are currently used in North or South America ... consequently, that antenna would be a very poor choice for your camper or for anyone on this side of the planet.

Guest ... please join our Forum and we can make some recommendations for your camper-antenna.

Jim

Fringe Reception, thanks for the input. I am the OP of this thread and have now registered. The reason I was considering the LAVA is the ad on ebay said it was not a cheap Chinese clone. I see you have a lot of posts here so I figure you are educated on this subject. Can you recommend an antenna? Also, is there an antenna that will keep me from having to use a signal converter with a tube tv? We have a tube in the camper and in our house. We have been paying directv for the past 15 years. After reading some of the info here I might be considering dropping that for OTA tv. So, if it's not too much to ask, could you also recommend an antenna to use at home? We don't have any restrictions about mounting one on our house in this neighborhood. Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

The reason I was considering the LAVA is the ad on ebay said it was not a cheap Chinese clone.
Saw one that said: "NEW REAL LAVA BRAND, NOT A CHEAP FAKE CHINESE CLONE!" Right. It's really from China -- not a Chinese clone. Another ad says: "you will be disappointed with the cheap made in China junk that our competition offers." Still doesn't say where Lava Electronics is located, does it?

People of Lava Sweden - Re-thinking TV

I'm pretty sure it's in Sweden. Reviewers on Amazon complain about the misleading ads, since it says "Made in China" right on the power plug.

is there an antenna that will keep me from having to use a signal converter with a tube tv?
Sounds like you'll need a converter box. Or a new TV. (How many more miles you figure ya got left on the antiques? ;))

A report from TVFool would be very helpful:
TV Fool

However, there have been problems getting it to work, recently. Here's a workaround:
Go to Google. Click on the "Maps" overhead link. Search for your address. Right click on your location (marked with an "A" on the map). Click on "What's here?". Your latitude and longitude coordinates will appear -- in that order, separated by a comma -- in the address box where your address used to be. Highlight and copy the coordinates. Go to tvfool and instead of entering your address, click on "Coordinates" and paste your lat and long into the labeled fields that appear (delete the comma, and the numbers to it's right for latitude; delete comma and numbers to its left for the longitude). Enter the approximate height of where your antenna will go, and click "Find Local Channels" to get your report. Highlight and copy the bold face link that appears near the beginning of the report. Paste it into a message here.

Rick

Fringe Reception

Staff member
:welcome: Wild Bill!

As far as I know there are no options other than using a 'traditional' D2A converter box, other than buying a new TV. Regarding your camper, here is a Forum link to a thread about battery-powered TV sets and powering them from a vehicle and the concept applies to many converter boxes.
http://www.dtvusaforum.com/mobile-dtv/18559-battery-operated-tv-use-during-thunderstorms.html

The You Tube video below may help you, too.

Jim

[video=youtube;lVKm45r0uUY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lVKm45r0uUY[/video]

Fringe Reception

Staff member
Wild Bill,

Your antenna survey @ 25 feet above ground level is fair, but it will take some work. The survey you ran is 'theoretical' but most of the channels in the 'pink area' may be possible to receive. Those to your Northeast are more promising and those to your West will be harder to capture and that would require an antenna rotor or a second antenna system on an A-B switch. (I use three antennas on A-B-C switches in each room).

First ... I would try an 8-Bay screen-type antenna and the Channel Master 4228HD would be a good choice. That antenna has 'some' VHF reception abilities because of the horizontal crossbars. Pick up FREE Digital TV with Channel Master digital HDTV Antenna CM-4228HD for the best TV antenna reception

After testing with a single antenna, depending on your results you might have to combine it with a high-band VHF Yagi to capture any 'real' channels 7-13, but that is a second step you don't need to take at this time.

Stand by and wait for others here to chime in with their suggestions and please keep us posted about your results.

Jim

Last edited:

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I would really recommend a new TV rather than a converter, especially using it in a camper. It's a lot better than lugging around the heavy old TV, gets both digital and analog, has modern connections, and is pretty cheap these days in the size range commonly used for camping. As a bonus, they draw a lot less power - a 15 - 27" LED TV can easily run for HOURS off a car battery and inverter.

G

Saw one that said: "NEW REAL LAVA BRAND, NOT A CHEAP FAKE CHINESE CLONE!" Right. It's really from China -- not a Chinese clone. Another ad says: "you will be disappointed with the cheap made in China junk that our competition offers." Still doesn't say where Lava Electronics is located, does it?

- See more at: http://www.dtvusaforum.com/dtv-hdtv...-digital-tv-antenna.html#sthash.z4wuzJeh.dpuf
Wrong "Lava". The Lava antennas are imported by a company in California. www.lavasat.com

Fringe Reception

Staff member

- See more at: http://www.dtvusaforum.com/dtv-hdtv...-digital-tv-antenna.html#sthash.z4wuzJeh.dpuf

Wrong "Lava". The Lava antennas are imported by a company in California. www.lavasat.com
Our guest is correct :thumb: it is the same screwy plastic Chinese wonder that so many people have wasted their money on.

I suggest anyone considering buying that 'wonder' build their own nearly equal antenna, first. Seriously.

Jim

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P DTV | HDTV Chat 4