Layer TV - New provider

James

DTVUSA Member

Layer TV is a start-up by industry insiders, including Comcast. It will be an IP video service.

"Layer3 TV -- whose Web site carries the tagline, “Tomorrow’s Television Today” – is being cryptic about its product and its plans, but the startup is emerging as programmers continue to loosen up on distribution rights that enable over-the-top delivery."

The article is pretty interesting. Looks like they have some experienced people running this project.

tmcmeekin

DTVUSA Member
I'm curious to see what comes of this - but since they are extremely vague about the entire thing, and since the one thing they say is that it's "programmer-friendly," I think one of two things will happen:

1) It will be a failure, and never actually do anything or will disappear within a year.
or
2) It will be embraced by the cable companies, but will have absolutely no services that I'm interested in.

James

DTVUSA Member
Yes. They seem to be wanting to calm the fears of the "industry"...which means what? Is it a time-buyer to prevent the big guy's lawyers from responding with money-siphoning law suits? These guys are from the industry so they should know the inner secretes of how things work. So what exactly is the product anyone needs if NOT lower prices and competition?

One thing many of us are asking for is the ability to only buy the channels we want. Now that would be interesting.

tmcmeekin

DTVUSA Member
I agree a la carte would be interesting, but I doubt that is what Layer plans, because that's what the cable companies do not want (unless it is an elaborate misdirect to throw off the cable co lawyers, as you suggest).