LED HDTV or Plasma?

CathyL

DTVUSA Rookie
We're about to spend $1400 on a LED HDTV which may be as soon as Wednesday this week. The Samsung we are looking at is just as bright as any Plasma that my husband and I have seen and we really the picture that it puts out. Does anyone here own one? We've seen how the picture looks with blu-ray but we're a little unsure of how it will look with Direct TV. If you have any thoughts about LED please let me know too. Should we go with a Plasma TV instead? The LED is a little cheaper.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
We're about to spend $1400 on a LED HDTV which may be as soon as Wednesday this week. The Samsung we are looking at is just as bright as any Plasma that my husband and I have seen and we really the picture that it puts out. Does anyone here own one? We've seen how the picture looks with blu-ray but we're a little unsure of how it will look with Direct TV. If you have any thoughts about LED please let me know too. Should we go with a Plasma TV instead? The LED is a little cheaper.
CathyL, Welcome to the DTVUSA Forum. I'm going to assume you are looking at a Samsung LCD HDTV. I currently own numerous LCD HDTVs. There would only be one reason you would absolutely need Plasma. If you view the TV in a bright room and it is impossible to control the lighting, then you would want to go with a plasma TV. If you are able to control the lighting in your HT room, save the extra expense and purchase an LCD. Samsung makes some very nice HDTVs. Enjoy!

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I'm familiar with the LED HDTVs, but at $1400.00? I believe it's still up in the air, as to their future. Have they reduced the prices on the LEDs that much already? I hope I didn't mis-assume? I've had great success with my LCDs. I always choose LCD over plasma. I will look at purchasing an LED HDTV, but not until they have been out for at least another year. I quit being the guinea pig when I lost the HD vs Blu-ray war (I purchased HD). Sorry if I confused your question CathyL.

CathyL

DTVUSA Rookie
Thanks. I'm all for energy savings but Wiki says they've only been making the LEDs since 2005 and like you said 1ns I don't want to be the guinea pig either. Does anyone know where I can find out how long they last?

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
The fact that the LED HDTVs are so new on the market, makes it hard if not impossible to determine the lifespan of an LED HDTV. They have been successfully used in traffic signal for quite a few years. I would recommend a reputable retailer and also consider purchasing an extended warranty. I searched for some reviews for comparison. Here is what I could find.

The Good
When/If you buy a Samsung LED HDTV, you're also ensuring that you've also bought a screen that is capable of producing the best image possible with all of that data.

Most people have heard of plasma displays, and they do offer a good picture, but they also have a relatively short life expectancy, and can't produce an image comparable to a new Samsung LED HDTV.

The Bad price won't be coming down anytime soon.
There is however, no reason to wait, unlike plasma technology for instance, don't expect the drastic price cuts on any Samsung LED HDTV.
Samsung LED HDTV

The Ugly
Generally, I love LED LCDs. The UN46B7000 is Samsung's set with 120Hz refresh and internet widgets. It's not backlit, like the XBR8, but sidelit, and is as thin as two of your fingers. You should avoid buying this set.
Samsung LED LCD UN46B7000 HDTV Lightning Review: Avoid! - Samsung un46b7000 - Gizmodo

Definitely post with your decision and keep us updated with issues or satisfaction with your new HDTV. I'm sure there will be others to follow up with experience or advice on the LED HDTV vs Plasma HDTV.

Thanks for a good thread!

Good Luck!

O-O

DTVUSA Member
"It's not backlit, like the XBR8, but sidelit, and is as thin as two of your fingers. You should avoid buying this set." Sidelit? Those are some strong words from Gizmodo! Great post 1inxs, the whole Gizmodo post is pretty informative.