Legislation would put (Digital) advertising on license plates

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Legislation would put advertising on California license plates - ContraCostaTimes.com

From the article:

... "The California Legislature is considering a bill that would allow the state to begin researching the use of electronic license plates for vehicles. The move is intended as a moneymaker for a state facing a $19 billion deficit.

The device would mimic a standard license plate when the vehicle is in motion but would switch to digital ads or other messages when it is stopped for more than four seconds, whether in traffic or at a red light. The license plate number would remain visible at all times in some section of the screen.

In emergencies, the plates could be used to broadcast Amber Alerts or traffic information." ...

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
I won't say "that'll never happen" because, after all, this is California. Let's just leave it at "this might not be as productive of revenue as you suppose" because...

• Lots of owners will let their assemblymen and senators know in no uncertain terms that their vehicles are not for hire as billboards for the state -- not without, say, free annual registration renewals.

• This idea raises an entire garden of thorny civil-liberty and privacy issues. Put advertising on plates, and soon enough one "advocate" after another will be pounding desks in Sacramento demanding that the plates be used to identify sex offenders, drunken drivers, ticket scofflaws, tax deadbeats... and maybe even real lowlifes like smokers and meat eaters.

:becky:

Piggie

Super Moderator
Don't know Jay, tried to read Jim's link to the original article, but it doesn't work.

Goggled links
http://news-political.com/2010/06/21/money-over-safety-californias-digital-license-plate/
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local-beat/California-License-Plates-May-Go-Digital-96758099.html
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100621/ap_on_hi_te/us_tec_techbit_electronic_license_plates

All plates...

So now a little digital hacking and you can change your license plate number with little suspicion. Make texting illegal but allow you to read plates in traffic, because you can read the parked ones on the side of the road. I can barely read a plate now unless I am very close to the vehicle now, so can you actually read the ad beyond a few feet?

Last comment. Some one (well at least one that came up with this) in California is doing too many drugs, probably legal antidepressants.

Last edited:

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
This idea raises an entire garden of thorny civil-liberty and privacy issues. Put advertising on plates, and soon enough one "advocate" after another will be pounding desks in Sacramento demanding that the plates be used to identify sex offenders, drunken drivers, ticket scofflaws, tax deadbeats... and maybe even real lowlifes like smokers and meat eaters.:becky:
Don,

I add Deadbeat Dad's and people who have been treated for STD's or have HIV+ to your list. You are potentially SO right about to civil-liberty and privacy issues.

Beyond that, why would I want to drive down the road advertising ANYTHING except for the DTVUSA Forum? :director:

Jim

Last edited: