Leonard Nimoy has COPD

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I wasn't that fond of Nimoy's Paris in MI but I did watch. Of course, ST is my favorite of his, but I also love that holocaust movie he did and dang, can't think of the name of it right now, but it was really good.

James

DTVUSA Member
I got curious and looked into COPD. It seems we used to call it emphysema. From my read smoking is the cause. I just can't picture Spoke explaining why he smoked. Yes I realize he was "only" acting the part. Sad.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
I got curious and looked into COPD. It seems we used to call it emphysema. From my read smoking is the cause. I just can't picture Spock explaining why he smoked. Yes I realize he was "only" acting the part. Sad.
James,

COPD / Chronic Bronchitis / Emphysema is not only caused by long-term smoking.

Example: long-term work as a car painter or as a sander in automotive body work, cabinet builders (sanding) or simply living in a place where dust mites are continually creating dust over time can cause 'emphysema'. Where did the dust bunnies under your bed and other places you don't regularly vacuum come from? They grew there and they contribute to the air in your home.

I wish I had known that 40 years ago and I currently run two HEPA air cleaners 24/7 and I have a HEPA filtered vacuum cleaner rather than one the 'redistributes' dust into the air.

I am saddened about Nimoy and I hope he lives long(er) and prospers. His public acknowlegement of being ill suggests to me his COPD is in its final stage. Sad.

Jim

James

DTVUSA Member
James,

COPD / Chronic Bronchitis / Emphysema is not only caused by long-term smoking.

Example: long-term work as a car painter or as a sander in automotive body work, cabinet builders (sanding) or simply living in a place where dust mites are continually creating dust over time can cause 'emphysema'. Where did the dust bunnies under your bed and other places you don't regularly vacuum come from? They grew there and they contribute to the air in your home.

I wish I had known that 40 years ago and I currently run two HEPA air cleaners 24/7 and I have a HEPA filtered vacuum cleaner rather than one the 'redistributes' dust into the air.

I am saddened about Nimoy and I hope he lives long(er) and prospers. His public acknowlegement of being ill suggests to me his COPD is in its final stage. Sad.

Jim

Good to know! Makes perfect sense. Dust bothers me quite a bit.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
... and he likes William Shatner! :} I still remember when they came to Sacramento and it was their very first convention together ever. That session was recorded here and made available on DVD.

SamuelB

DTVUSA Member
I hope he stays ok for as long as possible... Or maybe I hope he doesn't begin to suffer for as long as possible, because to wish a long life isn't always a blessing. It's good that he speaks out about the reason of his disease and takes a stand against smoking, he's a role model for many, may his fate convince others to care about their health more. :(

ReeseS

DTVUSA Rookie
As a sufferer of COPD, I can say first hand that it can be a very debilitating disease. Many people are of the opinion that certain diseases are brought on by the sufferer, or that the sufferer did something wrong. It is also frustrating when people discount certain illnesses because they cannot look at you and see the sickness. I pray that his doctors do the very best to keep him comfortable for as long as possible.