Longer regular NFL schedule?

Owners are talking about increasing the number of games played during the regular season. Some players are balking because of the toll it would take on their bodies. What are your thoughts about this?

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
As a fan, I'd love to see it but I just don't see how the players can physically handle adding another week or two to the schedule.

BCF68

DTVUSA Member
As a fan, I'd love to see it but I just don't see how the players can physically handle adding another week or two to the schedule.
OK first of all this argument was use when the season was increased from 14 to 16 games to 14 and from 12 to 14 games. Anyone here want to go back to a 12 game season? Players are in better shape today than they were in 1978 when the first 16 game season was played. Also now they have bye weeks. Before the 1990's there weren't any bye weeks in the NFL. Also today's players are specialized and most players don't play every down like they used to. And of course the you have to explain how is it that CANDIAN football players have somehow adjusted to a 18 game schedule but NFL players are somehow too brittle to handle it.

Also the increase in the seaoson would also include a reduction in the pre-season games. So at the end of the day a NFL player is still only playing 20 games, not counting the playoffs.

The union will agree to this for 2 reasons

A) It means a pay increase for it's dues paying members

B) It will most likely come with a increase in roster size which means more dues paying union members.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Personally, I think the sport should disappear. Go ahead - throw the tomatoes. It's too violent, and players are getting hurt and suffering in later years. I just don't like the game at all.

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
OK first of all this argument was use when the season was increased from 14 to 16 games to 14 and from 12 to 14 games. Anyone here want to go back to a 12 game season? Players are in better shape today than they were in 1978 when the first 16 game season was played. Also now they have bye weeks. Before the 1990's there weren't any bye weeks in the NFL. Also today's players are specialized and most players don't play every down like they used to. And of course the you have to explain how is it that CANDIAN football players have somehow adjusted to a 18 game schedule but NFL players are somehow too brittle to handle it.

Also the increase in the seaoson would also include a reduction in the pre-season games. So at the end of the day a NFL player is still only playing 20 games, not counting the playoffs.

The union will agree to this for 2 reasons

A) It means a pay increase for it's dues paying members

B) It will most likely come with a increase in roster size which means more dues paying union members.
Physical conditioning has improved since the 70's but I'm talking about the physical damage to players throughout the season. Peterson: NFL makes progress on head injuries, but locker room culture slow to change, as Roethlisberger case shows - San Jose Mercury News

I can't think of one financial reason why the players union would not agree to playing more games.

Personally, I think the sport should disappear. Go ahead - throw the tomatoes. It's too violent, and players are getting hurt and suffering in later years. I just don't like the game at all.
No tomatoes from me. You are more than entitled to your opinion. BCF68 brings up an interesting point in how the CFL has an 18 game season. From the standpoint of a fan, more games would mean more entertainment.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Thanks, Tonygun. When I was a kid, I watched the sport some and I have followed it pieces of it here and there. It's just that in the last decade we've had so many people die, become paralyzed, or have other problems from football. I just think we don't even know all the damage that it does.

Thanks, Tonygun. When I was a kid, I watched the sport some and I have followed it pieces of it here and there. It's just that in the last decade we've had so many people die, become paralyzed, or have other problems from football. I just think we don't even know all the damage that it does.
Every sport has some kind of inherent danger behind it and I have to believe the players know that going into the sport. Whether it's football, baseball, soccer, or basketball, there's always a chance of serious injury.