Question: Looking for an antenna...

Kona Blue

DTVUSA Rookie
This probably been discussed before but with the number of antennas on the market it can get confusing. We have a manufactured home (mobile home or as my wife calls it "The tin can") in Ellenton FL (34222). I would like to place a smallish antenna on the outside back wall of the house pointing north east to pick up the majority of stations about 25 miles away. There is another group of channels about 60 miles away if I can get the antenna pointed in the south east direction. I was thinking of the ANT751 or EZ HD TV Antenna. I am open to any other suggestions an appreciate the help. Thanks

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: Kona,

Please go to TV Fool and run a free antenna survey using your exact address or GPS location and the maximum height you could install an antenna. Then, post the resulting page (URL) here for us to study. That site will automatically conceal your personal information for your security.

Because of your 'tin can home' you may have to go higher than expected, because it may act as an unpredictable signal reflector that hurts or kills reception.

Jim

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Kona,

I would be tempted to try a 4-Bay UHF screen antenna pointed toward the cluster of channels northwest of you. All of the channels to your northwest except WFLA-7 the NBC affiliate, are UHF stations and it is possible a 4-bay would capture it.

An alternative would be to try an 8-bay screen such as a Channel Master HD-4228, but it might not be necessary. Another option would be to combine a 4-bay screen with a high-band VHF Yagi and that can be done easily, using the same (one) coaxial downlead by joining the antennas with a UVSJ signal combiner.

There are a few channels to your south and southeast that you might be able to capture, but probably not with an antenna at only 12 feet above ground level.

Please let others chime in to see what they suggest.

Jim

dkreichen1968

Staff member
I think you were right in your thinking about an RCA ANT751R. Good strong signals in both the UHF and VHF band. It is my understanding that the RCA ANT751R and the EZ HD are the same antenna. Both are manufactured by Winegard in the USA.

It is my understanding that the RCA ANT751R and the EZ HD are the same antenna. Both are manufactured by Winegard in the USA.
Yes they're the same, and the ANT751R on Amazon costs less than the EZ HD from Denny's.

It's actually possible I might have been better off with an ANT751R alone, pointed toward Chicago, instead of my two antenna / two tuner setup. I coulda got the whole "mini-yagi" up above the drain pipe, which is what causes all the blockage. Might have gotten Milwaukee off the backside, and wouldn't have to worry about a dipole for VHF!

But I didn't know about it at the time, and nobody mentioned it. :embarrassed:

Rick