Looking for basic set-top antenna

U

Unregistered

I just cancelled cable and am looking for a basic set-top antenna to pick up the main stations:

TV Fool

I have two windows on either side of my tv - one facing east and the other facing south.
Preferably something I can get off of Amazon. Thanks!

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Guest,

By default, your TVFOOL report is set at 5 feet above ground level and I wish I had as many (potential) stations available to me. It makes me wonder what a report at a height above your roof would look like?

I always hesitate to make indoor antenna recommendations, because there are too many variables in play. Those include kitchen fixtures like your stove, refrigerator and sink which can block or reflect DTV signals, water pipes and furnace ducting inside the walls and so on.

If you choose to use an indoor antenna, our staff usually recommends you purchase one locally from a business that has a good return policy in case it proves to be inadequate at your particular location. I hope this helps.

Jim

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
You will need to point your antenna East.
Normally I would recommend a 2 bay outdoor antenna to be used indoors, but not in your case. The problem is that you have some VHF channels, and they're notoriously difficult.

So, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest you try:

1> Mohu leaf. I have yet to try this new antenna, but there's a lot of positive buzz about it. $44 +2.95 s/h
Amazon.com: Paper Thin Leaf Indoor HDTV Antenna - Made in the USA!: Electronics

2> Winegard FreeVision FV-30BB. $35.66 with free shipping.
Amazon.com: Winegard FreeVision FV-30BB HDTV Antenna: Electronics

With either antenna, move it around to find a "sweet spot" and place it away from your TV and electronics. You may want to get a length of good quality RG6 cable so you can place it anywhere in the room.

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
WSPA and WLOS are both real pains in the neck to receive, so make sure that any antenna is good at receiving VHF.

- Trip

dkreichen1968

Staff member
WSPA and WLOS are both real pains in the neck to receive, so make sure that any antenna is good at receiving VHF.

- Trip
Due to you having three major high VHF stations I'd stay away from the Mohu Leaf, which is optimized for UHF. You may want to start out with a RCA ANT-111 or a similar rabbit ear loop combo. If it doesn't work in your situation you're only out $10. Stay away from amplified set top antennas. In many cases the amplifier just adds noise which can REDUCE your reception.

tori729

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Why would I want to point it west if most of my stations are coming from the northeast?

This is the one I was looking at on Amazon: Amazon.com: RCA ANT1500 Superior Flat Antenna (White): Electronics

I would rather not have to reposition the rabbit ears if I don't have to but would something like this mean I am limited to what I can get? I mean, really, we only need to get the basic stations we were getting with cable so I'm not looking to pick up anything really far away.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Why would I want to point it west if most of my stations are coming from the northeast?
Check it again. Your strongest signals are coming from the northwest.

Has anyone out there had good results with a flat pannel antenna? I've never used one, but haven't heard anything good about them from people familiar with antennas.