Looking for Comcast channels without a box or receiver

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Doug, I think Audrey might be looking for a listing of clear QAM frequency assignments digital cable channels. As far as I know, Comcast does not publish QAM frequency assignments. So once a Comcast area goes digital, the only way to know what frequency to tune the tuner in your television to, to tune in (for example) USA Network, is to either have a CableCARD-compatible tuner in your television (with CableCARD installed by Comcast), or by trial-and-error.

Also note that due to a recent decision by the FCC, granted on request of Motorola, Cisco, Thompson, and Pace, Comcast will now be able to (weakly) encrypt even those digital cable channels that are available using DTAs. While Comcast has not capitalized on this FCC decision yet, if/when they do, in most areas, subscribers without CableCARD-compatible tuners (with CableCARD installed by Comcast) in their televisions will be unable to tune in any channels with the tuners in their televisions, other than limited basic cable (local, over-the-air broadcast channels, public access channels, and maybe a few others).

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Give them time. There's a reason why Comcast is rated so badly by consumers. We really have no choice but to use them yet they love to pinch those pennies and get whatever they can from us.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Funny: Time Warner customers say the same thing about them. And RCN doesn't provide any analog service. And FiOS screws up billing all the time. And so on...

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I'm not sure where Time Warner is on the list. I just remember that last year the national survey came out of the companies with the lowest customer satisfaction. Comcast was at the bottom. I can't remember where exactly but like 7th 8th or 9th. Their rationale was that they had so many customers that naturally they'd have more complaints. Right. <rolls eyes>