Looking for Suggestions/Recommendations

mbramble

DTVUSA Rookie
Here's my info from tvfool.com
TV Fool

I am currently using AT&T as cable provider but am looking to cut that tie. I have no antenna at this time. My house is a split level and the antenna will go above the high portion (ridge is about 20' above ground level, antenna another 5' (or whatever is recommended) above the roof) -- though an option to mount in the upper portion attic would be a definite plus!! (That way I wouldn't have to worry about it during hurricane season).

I have an old 32" Phillips TV and a newer 25" Vizio flat panel. I would, of course, like to get as many channels as possible.

Looking on suggestions for brand/model of antennas, any recommended pre-amps, etc. -- whatever is required to get good reception. Of course, cheaper is better!!

Thanks,
Mike

dkreichen1968

Staff member
The maxium number of channels would require an antenna and rotor since you have signals coming from 180 degrees on the east, but a medium range UHF/Hi VHF combo antenna pointed due west would give you a good selection. I would think that a Channel Master CM-2018, Winegard HD-7694, or larger antenna would work nicely. I don't think you will need a preamp, and whether it will work in the attic depends on your roof construction.

I'm sure you will need a converter box for you Phillips TV.

Last edited:

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
A good 4-bay UHF antenna pointed at 274 degrees will get you most everything of value. Attic mount is possible, if you don't have any metalwork obstructing the path. Since your signals are one-edge, you may want to move the antenna around to locate a good position before bolting it down. Channel 5 (CBS) looks to be the most difficult of the majors. Use good quality RG6 cable only. One of the antennas dkreichen1968 posted would work, too.

No pre amp needed, unless you plan on running it to more than probably 3 tv sets.

Last edited:

dkreichen1968

Staff member
A good 4-bay UHF antenna pointed at 274 degrees will get you most everything of value.

No pre amp needed, unless you plan on running it to more than probably 3 tv sets.
Your 1 VHF station is WALA Fox 10 on RF9. If that came in on the 4 bay then Pogi's suggestion would be excellent. That would be the one condition of using a 4 bay. Of course you could start out with a 4 bay mounted in the attic and add a VHF high antenna using a UVSJ (UHF, VHF, splitter, joiner) later if needed. My current antenna is a gray-hoverman (similar to a 4 bay) and an AntennaCraft Y5-7-13 mounted in the attic, and I pull in signals that TVfool lists as a lot weaker than your signals.