Looking for US made cage/fencing washers, nuts, and bolts...

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
Thanks for any info.

Im trying to source US parts for the Kosmic SuperQuad Tune-A-Tenna.

1"x2" galvanized steel 14-16 gauge fencing/cage....perhaps to a custom width of 28"....or perhaps 30" as standard size.

I'd like to go 100% Made in America.

Last edited:

rabbit73

DTVUSA Member
Try McNichols Co. in Tampa.

Ask them to send you their catalog.

McNICHOLS offers a full line of metal and fiberglass products primarily with holes in them

Their Wire Cloth Welded (Weldmesh) comes in 2" x 1" (special item), page 46 in catalog MC09. They also list Rectangular Welded Wire Mesh 2" x 1" (3621220048 & 3621200048) on their site. It might be possible to have galvanized or copper wash finish added. The can also cut to size, but you must be very specific how you want it done. I haven't any idea where it's actually made.

The above mesh that they have listed has heavier gauge wire and a price that might make it unsuitable for your needs. The diameter of 14 ga wire is about .078 to .080", which is what Channel Master used on their 4221 & 4228.

They also have .080 dia galvanized (item 34218C4810, long way of opening parallel to width):
http://www.mcnichols.com/ecommerce/eos/itemDetail?execution=e6s1&page=itemDetail&itemNumber=34218C4810&navCode=cc:rectmsh&navCode=avc:AV-7706

You might have to settle for wire mesh made in China and say something like: "This antenna is proudly made in America of US and foreign parts."

I have been using welded wire mesh made by Jackson Wire from Hardware and Tools in Winchesster VA:
1 By 2 By 24 Inch 10 Feet Length Hot Galvanized Welded Wire 10041514 by Jackson Wire at HardwareAndTools.com

They also have 36" x 100ft rolls made by Jackson Wire and Midwest Air Technologies:
http://hardware.hardwareandtools.com/search?p=Q&lbc=hardwareandtools&uid=31678903&ts=custom&w=Jackson%20Wire&af=subcat1:1x2inchmeshweldedwire%20br:jacksonwire&isort=score&method=and&view=list
http://hardware.hardwareandtools.com/search?p=Q&lbc=hardwareandtools&uid=31678903&ts=custom&w=welded%20wire%20mesh%201%20x%202&af=subcat1:1x2inchmeshweldedwire%20br:midwestairtechnologies&isort=score&method=and&view=list

Mclapp uses wire mesh from Tractor Supply, but they couldn't ship what I needed from them, store pickup only:
Cage Wire, 36 x 25 ft. 1 x 2 in. - 3627241 | Tractor Supply Company

Last edited:

Me!

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I buy all my 1" x 2" mesh locally from Ace hardware. The stuff is sold in 24", 36", and 48" widths and around here (California) Ace is the only store that will sell the stuff by the foot. I don't know who actually manufactures the stuff for Ace. I am also not sure of the gauge but the 36" stuff seems rigid enough to make 32"-36" reflectors.

Home Depot and Orchard Supply only sell the stuff in 50-foot (or more, never checked) rolls and I don't know if those have all the available widths.

Last edited:

EscapeVelocity

Yeah, I have been using Tractor Supply wire mesh. However.... A.)It's made in China. B.) It's pretty costly at $5 per antenna. I was hoping that I could at least buy American at that price.

I also am getting a lot of waste, if I could find 36" wide rolls with the orientation of the grid rotated 90 degrees that would be great, as I could then just cut to 28" and be done with it. This to keep the 1" spacing on the horizontal wire as oriented on the antenna.

A 30" roll with standard orientation would be better as well.

Regardless, thanks for the McNichols suggestion!

EscapeVelocity

Thanks for the suggestions.

I currently use Hillman fasteners and they are made in China, Jim. I also have tried Midwest, but the box says, Packaged in the USA, which isnt inspiring.

Ill check them out IDRick.

The PVC board is Made in USA as well as the mast clamp standoffs, which are made in North Carolina. Mast is also Made in USA.

jackcon

DTVUSA Rookie
Wire Mesh Made in the USA

Try also this small company, they are in New Jersey, and their website claims that they have been open since 1919! Thats a pretty long run:

Custom Wire Cloth - Belleville Wire Cloth Co - Cedar Grove, NJ

Looks like the specialize in the finer mesh, but they also have the wider stuff, 1" and 2" openings listed on their site, so they must sell that stuff as well.

Have used them for finer stuff in the past, and was very satisfied with the service and pricing....

Just an FYI.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Try also this small company, they are in New Jersey, and their website claims that they have been open since 1919! Thats a pretty long run:

Custom Wire Cloth - Belleville Wire Cloth Co - Cedar Grove, NJ

Looks like the specialize in the finer mesh, but they also have the wider stuff, 1" and 2" openings listed on their site, so they must sell that stuff as well.

Have used them for finer stuff in the past, and was very satisfied with the service and pricing....

Just an FYI.
On behalf of those of us who build antennas, thanks for the link. Appears that for the galvanized wire mesh, they have to quote a price. The Stainless has prices, but - man, thats a lot to spend, although I would LOVE a SS antenna! I have some stainless welding rods that make great elements, too.