Evaluation: Looking to go OTA

scajjr2

DTVUSA Member
After toying with it for a few months, my fiance and I are going to drop Comca$t cable ($87/mo for TV is just too da*n much).
TV Fool

We live 2/3 of the way up a decent hill ( a good 75-80 feet above the main roads below), house faces SE, aprox 45 miles from Boston, probably want an attic install (no ductwork, no metal, no foil backed insulation, antenna would be in good spot at front right in attic, house is a 2-story salt-box) as it's fiance's house and she HATES putting holes of any kind in it anywhere. There is coax run to the LR downstairs and the 3 bedrooms upstairs. All the upstairs coax is run thru attic anyway, would just need to run a line to LR TV (42" plasma). I'm guessing it's not RG6 so I'm prepared to have to buy some of that.

I was considering the Channel master 4228HD, not sure if an amp would be needed or not.

Any additional info needed just ask.

Thanks,
Sam

Hi scarjjr2,

Welcome to the cable cord cutters club. I use to pay $150/month to Comcast!! I haven't paid them a dime in two years now :)

I'm just down the road from you in Western MA. The CM4228HD or DB8 (AntennasDirect equivalent) would be a great option for your location....if it will fit in your attic and you can face it slightly west of South roughly 205 degrees magnetic (the other option is a DB4 mounted on a J pole on the roof or side of the house - these look look no worse than a sat dish IMHO). However, these are UHF antennas and may prevent you picking up WENH-TV the PBS channel station from NH as it is on the VHF-hi band. You will receive PBS WGBH from Boston though. At this stage of the install I would not bother with the antenna pre-amplifier. First steps are a hi-gain antenna and good RG6 quad shield coaxial cable feeding to a splitter or distribution amplifier to then feed all the rooms.

Cutthecable
www.tvictory.com

scajjr2

DTVUSA Member
Thanks for the welcome.

Would you have a suggestion for an antenna that would let us get WENH? Fiance does like to watch the British comedy shows on it.

Sam

WENH is coming from almost due north but is relatively close at 18miles. You may (no promises) actually receive it, again try out the UHF first. Most of the PBS stations have the British programming, have a look at WGBH Homepage

If you still can't receive WENH then I would suggest a AntennaCraft Y5-7-13 Highband VHF HD Yagi TV Antenna for Channels 7-13 (Y5-7-13) pointing north and then co-joined with the UHF antenna use a jointenna.

Amazon.com: Uhf/vhf Combiner Box: Electronics

Start with the UHF option and see how it goes.

Cutthecable
TVictory - Your Cable Freedom Experts - Home Page

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: scrjjr2,

Since you are splitting the signals to only 4 rooms, you may not need an amplifier. Another option would be to use a pre-amplifier at the UHF antenna which introduces less 'noise' into the datastream than distribution amplifiers. Since Jointennas are becoming hard to find you could follow CutTheCable's advice by adding a dedicated VHF antenna and add it to your system (same single coax) using a UVSJ available at Radio Shack for about $6.00.

My antenna systems are split to 4 rooms and I do not need any amplification, so I suggest you start 'barefooted' and see what you receive before you invest in a second antenna or any amplifier or preamplifier. I hope this helps.

Jim

n2rj

Staff member
I am not impressed by the 4228HD. I have a double stack of the the old 4228A antennas and I feel as though the new antennas were compromised. Their main new feature is that they are better at high VHF than the old version, which tells you that they compromised the UHF and redesigned the antenna to do something it was not really supposed to do. If I had to buy a high gain antenna today I would buy a corner reflector yagi like the antennas direct 91XG.

scajjr2

DTVUSA Member
I am not impressed by the 4228HD. I have a double stack of the the old 4228A antennas and I feel as though the new antennas were compromised. Their main new feature is that they are better at high VHF than the old version, which tells you that they compromised the UHF and redesigned the antenna to do something it was not really supposed to do. If I had to buy a high gain antenna today I would buy a corner reflector yagi like the antennas direct 91XG.
Well I just got my 4228HD and just to try it set it on a chair by front window, ran cable to TV and got 25 channels right away, HD quality is great. We are up on a hill anyway but once I get it up in the attic and aligned correctly might get a few more stations. If we get our local ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX & PBS strong that's all we really want (we have the HTPC hooked up, probably use that as much as the OTA), any other stations a bonus..

Sam

scajjr2

DTVUSA Member
WENH is coming from almost due north but is relatively close at 18miles. You may (no promises) actually receive it, again try out the UHF first. Most of the PBS stations have the British programming, have a look at WGBH Homepage

If you still can't receive WENH then I would suggest a AntennaCraft Y5-7-13 Highband VHF HD Yagi TV Antenna for Channels 7-13 (Y5-7-13) pointing north and then co-joined with the UHF antenna use a jointenna.

Amazon.com: Uhf/vhf Combiner Box: Electronics

Start with the UHF option and see how it goes.

Cutthecable
TVictory - Your Cable Freedom Experts - Home Page
Just got the 4228HD delivered and just plopped it in a chair by front window to test. WNEH comes in great! So that plus the 2 Boston PBS stations we'll be set.

Sam

n2rj

Staff member
Well I just got my 4228HD and just to try it set it on a chair by front window, ran cable to TV and got 25 channels right away, HD quality is great. We are up on a hill anyway but once I get it up in the attic and aligned correctly might get a few more stations. If we get our local ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX & PBS strong that's all we really want (we have the HTPC hooked up, probably use that as much as the OTA), any other stations a bonus..

Sam
Good news!

I'm sure it will suffice for most people, but those of us that need the little extra "oomph" will probably be disappointed.

But I'm glad you got it working!

scajjr2

DTVUSA Member
Well got the antenna installed in the attic yesterday and have to say having watched it for most of the afternoon (PGA golf on NBC, Ch 7 out of Boston) the picture quality is amazing. We'd switch between the comcast HD box and the OTA for Ch7 and frankly the OTA picture was sharper, brighter, comcast's HD seems washed out a bit, flat in comparison.
Yeah we'll pay $15/mo more for the web now but we use the web way more than we use the cable TV. We figured out we actually watch about 8 channels and 5 are available OTA so in essence we were paying $80+/mo to watch 3 channels. Should be fun to go into the local comcast office with our box tomorrow and tell 'em we don't want it anymore.

Sam

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Well got the antenna installed in the attic yesterday and have to say having watched it for most of the afternoon (PGA golf on NBC, Ch 7 out of Boston) the picture quality is amazing. We'd switch between the comcast HD box and the OTA for Ch7 and frankly the OTA picture was sharper, brighter, comcast's HD seems washed out a bit, flat in comparison.
Yeah we'll pay $15/mo more for the web now but we use the web way more than we use the cable TV. We figured out we actually watch about 8 channels and 5 are available OTA so in essence we were paying $80+/mo to watch 3 channels. Should be fun to go into the local comcast office with our box tomorrow and tell 'em we don't want it anymore.

Sam
By the way, how many OTA channels are you receiving?

Dan

scajjr2

DTVUSA Member
Here's an interesting thing that happened when I just called Comca$t to cancel our cable TV- CS rep didn't even ask why I was dropping it and didn't offer any special deals to stay. Just said they would send a tech out Wed to turn it off at the pole and pick up the HD box. Funny thing was wife was looking at the bill online as i was talking and saw how on April 2nd every item on our TV package was going to cost $1-$2 more so our bill was going up up another $7. I like $60 much better than $147.

Sam

U

Unregistered

Thanks for sharing your Experience

I have followed your posts and found them quite interesting. Welcome to the OTA world, glad to have you.