Low UHF channels

U

Unregistered

OK so I live about 40 miles from the towers and my TV fool report is not pretty. I am thinking of going with the 91xg and a CM7777 amp. I will be putting the antenna on the top of a my 2 story house which will about 30 feet. My only concern is I have read that the 91xg doesn't work as well on the lower end of the UHF channels which is where most of my channels are. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
TV Fool

nbound-au

The Graveyard Shift
If you think it will make the difference try an 8bay bowtie. Yagi max gain is just before the top of their range, Bowtie max gain is a bit further back.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Guest,

Your antenna survey is not very promising and I agree with nbound-au, an 8-Bay such as a Channel Master 4228-HD would be a better antenna choice. Another option would be to buy or build a Hoverman or Gray-Hoverman, which are excellent 'fringe' area antennas. In your situation, additional antenna height would probably help any antenna. Good luck and please keep us posted about your progress.

Jim

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Miserable TVfool. But I think you should be able to get the major networks.

It looks like WMD and WTVF are both on channel 5 and in the same direction - there would be so much co-channel interference I don't think they would be watchable. WMD appears to be NBC, and WTVF is CBS. luckily, WTVF is also on channel 25, and NBC is also available on WSMV 10. So that eliminates your need for VHF-lo.

You will still need VHF-hi for channels 8 and 10. You have 2 choices: Winegard YA-1713 or AntennaCraft Y5-7-13.
As for the UHF channels, an 8 bay bowtie, DX91g, or MXU59 should pull those in.

Since your signals are all 2 edge, location is very important. A few feet in any direction can make all the difference, so try moving your antennas around to find any "sweet spot" before you permanently install them.

You may need a good pre-amp, too.

MrPogi

Staff member
I'd go with an Antennacraft 10G212 amp, inand an Antennacraft HD1200 Antenna.
Why the HD1200? Check the TVfool and read my post - OP really doesn't need VHF-lo, just VHF-hi. I would go with an HBU-44 for a combo antenna, at half the price of the HD1200. The HBU44 is a little weak on the UHF side, but the VHF-hi section is solid.

The Antennacraft 10G212 is a bit noisy (<4.0dB VHF,<3.5dB UHF), but it should do. I would go with the Antennacraft 10G202 myself, it has better noise specs ( <3.0dB VHF,< 2.6dB UHF ) and costs just a dollar or 2 more.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
The 10G212 is a left over from the analog era. Definitely a 10G202 over the 10G212.

It may be not that great of TVfool, but I see it as very doable. Everything is in the same direction, which is a big plus.

MrPogi

Staff member
The 10G212 is a left over from the analog era. Definitely a 10G202 over the 10G212.

It may be not that great of TVfool, but I see it as very doable. Everything is in the same direction, which is a big plus.
All in one direction, but all 2-edge. All that should be needed is - in the words of Tim The Toolman - "MORE POWER".