Mac B&W G3 Good for Internet TV?

WaWaZat

DTVUSA Rookie
I would like to set up internet TV. I don't know too much about internet TV yet but I'd like to hook into my home theater and to my Pioneer Elite Pro-730HD monitor. This rear projection TV has an RGB input (which looks like VGA) and DVI. The Pioneer manual specifies the RGB input for a digital tuner and says it should NEVER be used for a PC. Is this because of the possibility with burn-in, you think, or could this "RGB" input, as they call it, be a different format? Now the G3 has only 1 video card so if I wanted to hook to the TV and have another monitor for when the computer needs to be used for standard computer tasks, can I split this effectively to eliminate the need for buying another video card? ... or would purchasing a video card for this old 'puter be ideal?

I'm not sure how well or how prominent HD is on internet TV but assuming there is HD being broadcast, will I be able to take advantage of this with my proposed setup?

And what about 5.1 surround... anything broadcast encoded multichannel yet? Which brings me to my next question... how would I connect digital audio from my G3 to my surround processor? I have AES/EBU, Toslink, BNC & SPDIF digital inputs but the SPDIF are the only ones currently not used.

So big the big question is... will the G3 suffice for the internet TV task with the current and/or near future online TV standards without having to do major upgrade to this old machine? Would I see any big benefits from just purchasing a newer Mac?

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
I'm not sure why the manual says to never plug into the RGB for a PC, but keep in mind, that TV was made back in 04 (according to specs) and the manufacture was probably were more concerned with burn-in and users leaving their computer and TV on a single image for more than an hour.

HD isn't that prominent on the internet only because it uses a bunch of bandwidth. That's not to say that there aren't options out there for high resolution TV. YouTube has options for HD, and Netflix now has a number for movies and TV shows available in HD (http://blog.netflix.com/2010/05/now-streaming-in-hd-on-pc-and-mac_14.html) depending on your internet connection.

I'm not sure on your video card needs. I'd probably upgrade it since your G3 has an older processor, and it might become bogged down if your video card can't handle the load.

Have you thought about a Roku box (Roku Digital Video Player | Watch Netflix, Amazon Video On Demand and MLB.TV on Roku Player) for $75? That might be a good solution too.

WaWaZat

DTVUSA Rookie
Have you thought about a Roku box (Roku Digital Video Player | Watch Netflix, Amazon Video On Demand and MLB.TV on Roku Player) for $75? That might be a good solution too.
Instead of using a computer for internet TV. Seems Roku has a number of channels options. Anything major I might miss compared to using a computer? I'd like to be able to tune in to Speed Channel... not sure what online options will give me that.

Can anyone speak to the audio quality on the Roku... and if its capable of at least 5.1? Doesn't seem to mention that on the Roku site.

Instead of using a computer for internet TV. Seems Roku has a number of channels options. Anything major I might miss compared to using a computer? I'd like to be able to tune in to Speed Channel... not sure what online options will give me that.

Can anyone speak to the audio quality on the Roku... and if its capable of at least 5.1? Doesn't seem to mention that on the Roku site.
The Roku XD/S box is its only one that has an optical S/PDIF (TOSLINK) output. See the features of the different Roku boxes HERE.