Magnavox DVR not working

Lucinda

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I subbed onto the list b/c I am kind of desperate...my Magnavox DVR unit suddenly just quit working, I mean the analog stations come thru on it fine, but now my digital reception has stopped! :( I didn't do anything 'wrong' to it that I know of... I was simply viewing a videotape and had begun rewinding it, then stopped the rewind when I was interrupted and left the room. Later when I went back and was about to switch on a digital TV station, nothing happened... I've been trying for an hour to figure out what is wrong, but my Brother set up this unit for me and would understand much better than I do. Trouble is he lives a long ways off and won't be back out to see us for a while... I've searched thru the manual but a lot of it is Greek to me, I am so tech-challenged, ::::weak laugh::::

BTW, my unit is a Magnavox ZV450MW8A. Anyone have one of these and if so, could you give me any advice? I am utterly baffled!! :confused:

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Lucinda, It almost sounds like you may have turned the unit off? I know that you can watch analog stations on some converter boxes/dvr units while the unit is shut off, but not receive digital stations. Just an idea.

Any other details you can give us?

Lucinda

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Hi Lucinda! I moved your question into: DTV Questions: Everything Else - DTV USA Forum since it's a technical question, and you'll get more responses there. :)

What button do you usually press to switch between analog television stations and digital television stations. Is it labled "input"?
Hi--Sure, that's fine, I know this is pretty technical. On this particular model, there is a little button near the top of the remote that just says "DTV/TV", which is used to switch between digital and analog. To the left of it is the "Source" button, which gives either DVD or VCR input. I've played with that and the corresponding buttons on the unit itself, and I pretty much understand that the VCR input has to be on for VCR function to work correctly. Otherwise DVD is used for all else.

There is something else...I don't know if I mentioned that I did get TWO digital stations to come back. However, there is an E1 and an E2 that keeps showing on the display. For a while, when I tried to change channels with the remote, the E1-E2 stubbornly showed and I couldn't seem to get past them. (I realize these have to do with jacks, but that doesn't have a whole lot of meaning to me just now.) Finally, for some reason I did, but then I could only receive TWO digital stations, nothing more...

In Troubleshooting (general) the manual merely says, "If there is no picture...Switch the input selector on your TV (such as to "E1") so that the signal from the unit appears on the TV screen." But I don't remember ever paying much attention to those before. One is for the front, one is for the rear side, and I don't understand the difference or even if this is what I need...

Hey, thanks for being SO prompt! I may not be able to solve this problem w/o my brother's help...but I'm impatient to try (as he may not be back to visit for a long time).

acwriter

DTVUSA Member
Welcome to DTV USA Lucinda. We are glad you found us. Hopefully, the experts will be able to help you with your problem. I don't happen to be one of them, I just wanted to stop by and say welcome.

Lucinda

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Lucinda, It almost sounds like you may have turned the unit off? I know that you can watch analog stations on some converter boxes/dvr units while the unit is shut off, but not receive digital stations. Just an idea.

Any other details you can give us?
Well, this TV set was a 'donation' by Bro to replace our old set that was something like 18 yrs old and finally died. On the old TV we used the Magnavox unit with success, but we could only access analog TV by way of the magical button labeled DTV/TV (see post to Jay), that was the only means. However, on this newer set (about 7 yrs old and only lightly used), an "Auxiliary" caption is displayed when the DVR unit is on and connected w/ the TV and ready to bring in the digital stations. From there, you can MANUALLY run thru analog stations (which disconnects the unit and the digital signal). You can also get those with the remote, however (something else we couldn't do before, as the remote for the old TV died long before it did!).

In fact, tonight in experimenting, I was testing the settings and found the options of Antenna (which we've been using), Cable (Analog), and Cable (Analog/Digital). It also has 'Auto Channel Preset,' and for some reason I thought I would try Cable (A/D) even though we don't have cable or satellite. I just wondered what it would do. Our antenna setting seems to be on the fritz...so... The preset ran thru a whole bunch of stations, all right...and now I've got more stations I never knew existed! But, unfortunately, those were all analog, and it didn't fix the disappearing digital dilemma...

When Bro brought this TV and connected the Magnavox unit to it, he warned me NEVER to go off the Auxiliary feature, ONLY access analog thru the DTV/TV button. But sneaky little sister learned how to do it anyway, as described... :p I'm pretty sure that this isn't causing the current problem though. It apparently started when I was rewinding that videotape and noticing that the unit acted a bit different when the VCR input was switched on instead of DVD. After that was when the whole trouble began... :(

Lucinda

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Welcome to DTV USA Lucinda. We are glad you found us. Hopefully, the experts will be able to help you with your problem. I don't happen to be one of them, I just wanted to stop by and say welcome.
Hello, thanks, I'm glad to be here and I feel fortunate that I found a forum where everyone is friendly and prompt.... I've been to other tech forums where it took many days to just get one or two responses... I'm not sure anyone can really help me solve this problem w/o actually being able to get hands on the unit and/or see what is really going on... Good thing I'm a fair hand at explaining things!

Lucinda

DTVUSA Jr. Member
OK, I THINK the problem has been solved, but I'm not certain. I went back to the Settings and selected Antenna (which was what we had it set to, originally), then let it do an Auto Channel Preset on that. It went thru all analog stations first, then switched to digital... THEN I held my breath and checked to see if the remote would bring those in. It DID....it's not acting wacky like it did last night. Somehow, I don't know just how I did it (and may never know?), I apparently fouled up the antenna settings just by running that videotape...

I hope this fixes it, but I'm keeping my fingers firmly crossed! :eek:

I'm getting over a flu-like illness, and as a result my head's been a bit foggy, so maybe that was part of the reason I had so much frustration with this...!

Byte24

DTVUSA Member
OK, I THINK the problem has been solved, but I'm not certain. I went back to the Settings and selected Antenna (which was what we had it set to, originally), then let it do an Auto Channel Preset on that. It went thru all analog stations first, then switched to digital... THEN I held my breath and checked to see if the remote would bring those in. It DID....it's not acting wacky like it did last night. Somehow, I don't know just how I did it (and may never know?), I apparently fouled up the antenna settings just by running that videotape...

I hope this fixes it, but I'm keeping my fingers firmly crossed! :eek:

I'm getting over a flu-like illness, and as a result my head's been a bit foggy, so maybe that was part of the reason I had so much frustration with this...!
Hey, looks like you got the DVR fixed, I saw your message earlier and was going to reply (seeing as how I own a cable DVR)..... but you beat me to it.

Everyone I know has the flu right now! It sounds like some kind of 24 hour thing going around (with vomiting, blah!). Hope you feel better.

Lucinda

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Hey, looks like you got the DVR fixed, I saw your message earlier and was going to reply (seeing as how I own a cable DVR)..... but you beat me to it.

Everyone I know has the flu right now! It sounds like some kind of 24 hour thing going around (with vomiting, blah!). Hope you feel better.
Yup, she does seem to be fixed, even though I still don't know why things went wrong. But I do know that if something like this happens again, I can fix it myself! :D

Nope, I didn't have to hit the porcelain highway, it hasn't really been the flu for me. But it may as well have been! I was just as sick. Started off like a really bad cold, but then developed into bronchitis and sinus infection. Got some antibiotics now, which will certainly speed up recuperation. Trouble is I work at a maintenance-kind of a job, which means being outdoors in the cold sometimes... I should just stay home for a couple more days, but I feel better than I did...aaaand I need the money... :eek: