Male & Female TV Characters

Cadus

DTVUSA Member
I’ve thought about this before and asked girls I know, but 100% of them think that guy characters are more interesting to follow than girl characters. One of them that I thought would disagree is a feminist. She didn’t.

I don’t know how to ask this without opening a can of gender-biased observations, but…well, here it goes. Why do you guys think there are sooooo many more male lead characters than female lead characters in TV shows these days?

Hahahaha... this is a funny question! I am sooooo politically incorrect, I could go on for three pages on why males are the natural leads. You start by noticing little things that are so obvious nobody else notices them.

I'd better quit while I'm behind. :daffy:

Rick

Lily13

DTVUSA Member
Maybe because most directors and script writers are male and can't create realistic female characters. Like scriptwriter from the walking dead who made the viewers hate most female characters and killed half of them. fortunately they fired him. Plus there is the stereotype that women want to watch romantic comedies...so only those get female characters as leads. Stupid.

Cadus

DTVUSA Member
Maybe because most directors and script writers are male and can't create realistic female characters. Like scriptwriter from the walking dead who made the viewers hate most female characters and killed half of them. fortunately they fired him. Plus there is the stereotype that women want to watch romantic comedies...so only those get female characters as leads. Stupid.
I was more inclined to think that everything that scriptwriters made was for the purpose of the audience, but that's a good theory as well. It IS really hard to to make a story from the point of view of someone different than yourself and keep it realistic.
I just went to the Netflix lineups just to make sure that I was right about the more leads being males, and I was right. It's about 3:1 in most genres.

This is so my scene right now. One of my most prominent Netflix categories is "TV shows with a strong female lead," if that's any indication as to what I like :p

I honestly believe shows that have a "strong female lead" are ones that are catered to the more overprivileged, highly educated, liberal types who would be trying real hard to beat gender norms. Examples of these: 30 Rock, Parks and Recreation, Girls. I would even argue Downton Abbey just because I'm 95% sure that show is about Lady Mary, even if it was in a time women couldn't really vote yet.

I could talk about this forever haha, but this is all I'll say for now.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
5 Comcast 0