Malware Doctor Spyware on my computer!!!!!

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
HELP!!!! My PC is trying to extort me for cash. How the heck does Spyware make it onto the net and why aren't these people arrested. I've spent the last half hour taking steps to remove it (thanks to How to remove MalwareDoc or Malware Doctor (Uninstall Instructions)). Grr.

:icon_beat::flush::brick:
You shouldn't have been searching for those Heidi Montag pictures and this kind of thing wouldn't happen:brick:

Now that I got that out of the way, someone PM me the link when those pictures hit the net.
These types of things have a way of coming back and biting you.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
LOL Make sure you have a good spyware program on your computer, as well as anti-virus, and you really shouldn't have a problem. I used to get a lot of spyware junk, but since I've installed spyware, I, knock on wood, haven't had any problems at all.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Since I stopped using IE years ago I haven't gotten any spyware.

My wife continued to us it and got bit really bad even running antispyware.

Since she converted to Firefox she doesn't have the problem either.

But if you surf places nefarious enough nothing will save you.

Well unless you run Linux...

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I don't use IE, either. I've never liked it, not in all the years that I've been online. I've used it only when forced to by various circumstances. I used to use Netscape and converted a lot of folks over to it. Now we're all on Firefox, too.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
You shouldn't have been searching for those Heidi Montag pictures and this kind of thing wouldn't happen:brick:

These types of things have a way of coming back and biting you.
lol, nah, you can't get a virus from looking at Heidi pictures, maybe Pamela Anderson might get you one, but not Heidi. :dunce:

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Let me give you some advice to protect yourself easily.

Download this, this, and this. Those three give a really good layer of defense.
I agree on the first It's Time to Get Personal which is my browser of choice and the third The home of Spybot-S&D!. Even if one keeps the IE for a browser you can remain safe. I recommend spybotsd160 for adware and avast home edition Download FREE antivirus software - avast! Home Edition for virus and trojan attacks. I've never had anyone I've set up get any type of attack once the installed these two items and did an initial boot scan. I personally am not familiar with the second item of your recommendations.

Thanks for the suggestions. Wow. I think I need to take IE off my compter and just use FireFox or Google Chrome from now on. I'm pretty sure it happened last night (not while I was searching for Heidi Montag pictures lol) while my son was using the PC to search for downloadable games. Well, that's what the search history says.

Does anyone have the issue with VBScript message boxes popping up and saying things like 'that's illegal [OK] I said that's illegal [OK] OK Wise guy, if you won't stop clicking OK to dismiss [OK] i'm reporting you to the RIAA [OK] [page redirect to 403 Forbidden error]

Kinds of spam? it happens on some websites like SouthPark Mobile when i browse from my computer or iPod Touch. annoying as hell.

here's an example of what i'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v--KHQP631c

But the sad thing is this is how to do it, not stop it. it's kind of like when Windows XP first came out and they had similar kinds of spam from the 'messenger' service but this is a VBScript message box.

Last edited:
I don't like pop up anything, and I hate ads that ask surveys and all that silliness. Why can't i serf the net in peace without someone selling me something. Hey ever see the Dave Chappell bit on the internet? Pretty funny stuff

I really hate it when you click on a link to view a blog and just as you start reading it a H-U-G-E flash-based ad blocks the entire text and says 'Pay $5 to read this article' and no matter how many times you scroll, it follows you. ads have crossed the line when they get intrusive.

Good thing is if i hit ESC just before the timing of that ad i can read it for free. i HATE sites which want you to pay to read articles (excluding well-known newspapers) or those Experts Exchange sites where you can read the exact problem you're having but have to pay to read the solution. ARRGH! and it's always hard to miss since it's right there on the first or second of the Google search results. every time.

There's other 'pay to read the fix' sites and it's infuriating. i can understand paying to post a reply or to offer help, sort of like becoming a member to participate in forums, but to read one as a guest requires payment?!

I could block the VBScripting tool, but then i loose the functionality for most of my apps which use Visual Basic Scripting. so i really can't stop the annoying message boxes. they only appear on some sites, so it's not like they can find my IP Address and then send me those nags.

Also, has your browser been 'mousetrapped?' as in you're viewing a blog, say about DTV, and when you hit back on your browser to take you where you came from, the same page just reloads? and try again, same reload? hell! why do people hate it when you want to leave their site?! it serves no particular purpose other than ensuring that once you find out how to get back or you simply close and restart your browser, you WON'T come back?!

Aries

DTVUSA Member
I personally am not familiar with the second item of your recommendations.
NoScript, it's an addon that blocks javascript, flash, and popups by preventing the code from executing altogether, except for sites you specifically name as "Trusted". Like what was said before, it also stops those following flash things no problem at all.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
NoScript, it's an addon that blocks javascript, flash, and popups by preventing the code from executing altogether, except for sites you specifically name as "Trusted". Like what was said before, it also stops those following flash things no problem at all.
Mozilla Firefox and IE already include popup blockers without the additional software.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Also, has your browser been 'mousetrapped?' as in you're viewing a blog, say about DTV, and when you hit back on your browser to take you where you came from, the same page just reloads? and try again, same reload? hell! why do people hate it when you want to leave their site?! it serves no particular purpose other than ensuring that once you find out how to get back or you simply close and restart your browser, you WON'T come back?!
Never seen that but it sounds like a PITA.

You'd think Microsoft would be all about perfection with all of the competition out there in browser land. I guess they feel as if they still have things locked because most all new PCs still come with IE.

Aries

DTVUSA Member
Mozilla Firefox and IE already include popup blockers without the additional software.
Yeah, but it's not absolute. Since popups can be executed in any number of ways, it's best to take the very source of it and strike that down instead.

I've seen those mousetrap things. It's actually caused by bad programming most of the time, say a page that submits whatever comment you made or what you put into a search before taking you to the page. All modern browsers let you skip back several pages at a time, so use that to thwart it.

I only need one security program: Sandboxie - Sandbox software for application isolation and secure Web browsing That way I can say "Bring it!" to spyware - it will never stick.

I collect malware and spyware safely, though. It's interesting to watch the insistent nags pop up. With Sandboxie, I can shut them off when I want to get serious.

I also use Sandboxie as a "bomb squad" program. In case whatever I test gets violent with the system, I can safely turn it off and trash the mess without having to dig around to find a solution.

Last edited:
Actually it's common lately at a lot of blog sites among others to 'trap' the user's back browser button to force a reload of the page instead of going one page back like normal by using a JavaScript code in the offending page. so when a user hits 'Back' it just refreshes the page. it's very offensive and doesn't seem to have a logical purpose other than possibly generating extra 'hits' for those webmasters who get paid 'for clicks' so every attempt to go back only gives one more 'click' to the page they're trying to leave, thereby increasing revenue to the webmaster.

it's a practice that is generating tons of negative feedback however. on IE, you can circumvent the mouse-trapping by using the 'little arrow' below the back button to go 2 or more pages back at one time, avoiding the code that mousetraps the browser. sadly for those using Safari, it won't work. Safari only has the ability to go back one page at a time, so i myself have to hit the Backspace key rapidly hoping i can catch it before it redirects me back to the same page i'm trying to leave.

I really hate it when you click on a link to view a blog and just as you start reading it a H-U-G-E flash-based ad blocks the entire text and says 'Pay $5 to read this article' and no matter how many times you scroll, it follows you. ads have crossed the line when they get intrusive.

Good thing is if i hit ESC just before the timing of that ad i can read it for free. i HATE sites which want you to pay to read articles (excluding well-known newspapers) or those Experts Exchange sites where you can read the exact problem you're having but have to pay to read the solution. ARRGH! and it's always hard to miss since it's right there on the first or second of the Google search results. every time.

There's other 'pay to read the fix' sites and it's infuriating. i can understand paying to post a reply or to offer help, sort of like becoming a member to participate in forums, but to read one as a guest requires payment?!

I could block the VBScripting tool, but then i loose the functionality for most of my apps which use Visual Basic Scripting. so i really can't stop the annoying message boxes. they only appear on some sites, so it's not like they can find my IP Address and then send me those nags.

Oh yes! or if you are trying to do some serious research and get part of an article then some weird things that says you have to bcome a free memeber to read something. I hate that stuff

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Actually it's common lately at a lot of blog sites among others to 'trap' the user's back browser button to force a reload of the page instead of going one page back like normal by using a JavaScript code in the offending page. so when a user hits 'Back' it just refreshes the page. it's very offensive and doesn't seem to have a logical purpose other than possibly generating extra 'hits' for those webmasters who get paid 'for clicks' so every attempt to go back only gives one more 'click' to the page they're trying to leave, thereby increasing revenue to the webmaster.

it's a practice that is generating tons of negative feedback however. on IE, you can circumvent the mouse-trapping by using the 'little arrow' below the back button to go 2 or more pages back at one time, avoiding the code that mousetraps the browser. sadly for those using Safari, it won't work. Safari only has the ability to go back one page at a time, so i myself have to hit the Backspace key rapidly hoping i can catch it before it redirects me back to the same page i'm trying to leave.
That's good to know. :dunce: