Many SD channels incorrectly encoded - XFinity

This question is about "Many SD channels incorrectly encoded", with XFinity-Comcast TV channels, programming, and sports. On my 16:9 HDTV most SD channels are stretched by 4/3, regardless of the channel's aspect ratio. That means 4:3 channels covers the entire screen and 16:9 channels have black stripes above and below.

I tried playing with different options in the cablebox's setup menu, but the only thing that can change the result is "auto pillarbox". With that option on, 4:3 channels are pillarboxed with black stripes left and right, but 16:9 channels now have black stripes on all four sides.

There are just a couple of 16:9 channels that covers the entire screen, regardless of the settings of "auto pillarbox". They include KTFS, KRON and KCSMJ.

Strangely, Live TV channels from https://tv.xfinity.com/, when shown on my laptop, have the same effect. Stretched 16:9 channels have black stripes all around, and KRON looks fine.

This lead me to wonder whether most SD channels are incorrectly encoded: the program is in 16:9, but is letterboxed to 4:3 and then broadcasted. For example, Live TV from www.ktvu.com/live is 16:9, but the same channel (KTVU) is shown with black stripes all around in tv.xfinity.com/

Hope I explained everything and this can be fixed.

This topic covered Many SD channels incorrectly encoded, and XFinity - Comcast cable tv service.