Mariah Carey and Nicki Minaj feuding on 'American Idol'? Or just for show?

This week’s episodes on American Idol featured a showdown that’s been long in the making. Superstars Mariah Carey and Nicki Minaj came to blows with one another, bringing production on the show’s audition rounds in Charlotte, North Carolina to a halt while giving gossip magazines plenty to talk about. As if that wasn’t enough, video of the confrontation found its way online. Of all the things that could spark a confrontation between two musical sensations, it turned out to be over country music.

Caught in the middle of this clash between two titans was Summer Cunningham, a 20-year-old contestant hailing from Warner Robins, Georgia. Cunningham finished up her rendition of “Lean on Me” when Keith Urban asked her about where she saw herself as a singer. Cunningham remarked that she had already did “the country thing,” to which the New Zealand-born country singer took offense. That sparked a debate between Mariah Carey and Randy Jackson over the merits of her country attributes.

The argument continued as both Carey and Jackson continued to remark on Cunningham’s apparent country sound. “Every word she said was a yodel,” remarked Jackson. The last straw turned out to be when Randy Jackson began touting his years of experience in the singing business, offering “a little help, insight” as Cunningham left the stage. "Oh, you're right, I'm sorry. I can't help her. Maybe I should just get off the f---ing panel," Minaj said in a huff as she walked off the panel and off the set. Later on, MTV News asked Minaj if she and Carey were still at it after coming to blows the day before. “We’re fine,” remarked Minaj, although it happened to be in a way that signaled not everything was as fine as it seemed.

The American Idol auditions moved on to Baton Rouge, where things went just a bit smoother than the auditions in Charlotte. The judges also found plenty of amazing talent, including current Miss Baton Rouge Megan Miller, Charlie Askew and Paul Jolley. The auditions ended with Burnell Taylor’s powerful rendition of “I’m Here” from The Color Purple, driving Carey to tears while invoking a standing ovation from the other judges. “There’s a spotlight waiting for you to walk in it,” an impressed Keith Urban added.

Next week, the American Idol judges will finish up the auditions with rounds in Oklahoma City, San Antonio and Southern California. Rest assured that there will be plenty of amazing talent for the judges and viewers to discover. American idol airs Wednesay and Thursday nights on FOX.will will will willyou have at the start.

Attachments