Mark Wahlberg to Get HIgh School Diploma

I'm not a fan really of Wahlberg, but I do think this is cool. He is going back to school, online, but he's doing it. I hope he follows through. Full story.
Can’t imagine that he is a ninth grade dropout and now one of the Hollywood’s hottest stars! It seems like everything happens for a reason. There is no age limit to study and learn. He had to continue it now as he is involved with the Graduate-To-Go program and I hope he does well.

Can’t imagine that he is a ninth grade dropout and now one of the Hollywood’s hottest stars! It seems like everything happens for a reason. There is no age limit to study and learn. He had to continue it now as he is involved with the Graduate-To-Go program and I hope he does well.
Yeah, I am agreed with you.

AG99

DTVUSA Member
He's not the only high school dropout to make it big. Robert Downey Jr also didn't finish high school and we all know where he ended up (after a detour through a CA state penitentiary). He got his GED while in prison.

Yeah, there have been a fair number of "Big Names" who have gone back and gotten their GEDs or equivalent since they made it big. I went to a county high school in the midwest back in the day...we had more folks dropping out and getting their diplomas from our "Alternative School" than we did from the primary high school!!!

AG99

DTVUSA Member
I read that 1 in 4 US high school students doesn't graduate. 25%! No wonder we score so poorly on standardized tests compared to the rest of the developed world. The article I was reading that in was actually touting how much we'd improved in recent years: High School Graduation Rate Hits 40-Year Peak in the U.S. - Emily Richmond - The Atlantic

I also read that 75% of US 17-24-yr-olds don't qualify for military service. This is an old article, but I'm not sure it's any better now: Obesity, poor education big obstacles to military recruiting

Yeah, the other thing that doesn't help the military qualifications is the number of parents who will put their kids on ADD meds when it isn't necessarily the right answer....a lot of the time, just spending more quality parent time with the kid seems to be the trick, but so many parents aren't willing to do so!